Comic Book News from Around the Web
What's happening on the Gravyboard?
- PREVIEW: AAM/Markosia presents "Lazarus: Immortal Coils" - AAM/Markosia, publishers of King Kong, Starship Troopers, Eleventh Hour and the critically acclaimed The Boy Who Made Silence, are proud to announce their new title Lazarus: Immortal Coils. A story 1,974 years in the making, Lazarus: Immortal Coils reveals the definitive origin of the eternal warrior.
- Bluewater Productions kicks it into "Gearz" - From the creator of the "10th Muse" comes the newest female group of unlikely heroes - Gearz!
- NY Comic Con announces full schedule of film and TV previews and screenings - The full schedule of movie trailers and special sneak peek previews which will be featured in the IGN.com Theater at New York Comic Con has been announced and includes special events for "The Incredible Hulk," "Hellboy 2," " The Spirit" and more.
- X-POSITION: X-Editors United - We're joined today by Axel Alonso and his team of X-editors to discuss "Divided We Stand" and premiere loads and loads of exclusive art including Simone Bianchi art from "Astonishing X-Men."
- "Mr. T Versus Dracula" announced from Mohawk Media - Having recently launched their Mr. T: Limited Advance Edition Graphic Novel, publisher Mohawk Media have decided to celebrate April Fools Day with the announcement of "Mr. T Versus," a series of comic magazines which see Mr. T doing battle with other famous characters. The first confirmed title is "Mr. T Versus Dracula."
- Scott Dunbier Named IDW Special Projects Editor - Starting today, former WildStorm Executive Editor Scott Dunbier joins IDW Publishing as Special Projects Editor. In this exclusive interview, CBR News spoke with the industry veteran about his plans.
- I AM "IRON MAN": Robert Downey, Jr. - In this first of a series of interviews with the cast and crew of "Iron Man," the new film based on the classic Marvel Comics superhero, CBR News speaks with Robert Downey, Jr., who plays the titular role.
- FIRST LOOK: "Hulk" #3 - Hulk gets hit with an A-bomb! Courtesy of Marvel, CBR brings you a first look at "Hulk" #3 by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness with a variant cover by David Finch.
- SECRETS OF "NIM'S": Directors talk New Family Adventure Film - Directors Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett talk to CBR News about their new film, Nims Island, and what its like to work with Jodie Foster, and why 300 star Gerard Butler is so good that they had to cast him twice.
- PREVIEW: Warren Ellis' "Anna Mercury" #1 - Courtesy of Avatar Press, CBR brings you an advance look at "Anna Mercury" #1 by Warren Ellis and Facundo Percio, on sale this week.
- Incredible Hulk, Smallville, Speed Racer: April 1st Comic Reel Wrap - There ain't no jokes as we present an exclusive new rumor about trouble for Dr. Banner, season eight talk in Kansas, fast paced news plus much more.
- Mayor of Portland declares April to be Portand Comics Month - The Stumptown Comics Foundation is delighted to announce that Mayor Tom Potter will declare this April Portland Comics Month. The proclamation officially recognizes both the cultural importance and creative influence of this vibrant art form on the entire city.
- PREVIEW: "X-Force" #3 continues the search for Wolfsbane - The red-hot, sold-out hottest X-launch of the year continues as Wolverines new team searches for the kidnapped Wolfsbane and continues their merciless attacks on Purifier bases till they find her!
- EARTH'S MOST WANTED: The Twos - Marvel editor Tom Brevoort helps CBR unveil The Twos in the Skrulls "Secret Invasion" poker deck, including a longtime Avenger, a veteran news man, and young members of the Kree and Skrull races.
- PREVIEW: "Evil Dead" #4 - Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR brings you an advance look at "Evil Dead" #4 by Mark Verheiden and John Bolton, on sale next week in finer comics stores everywhere.
- Where Have All the Heroes Gone? Krueger talks Project Superpowers - Co-writer Jim Krueger brings you up to speed on whats happened in the first issues of Dynamite's Project Superpowers, and drops a few hints about whats still to come.
- MYSPACING COMICS: Marvel Cries "Excelsior!" - Joe Quesada and Stan Lee are making noise on MySpace and so is Marvel Entertainment adding nearly 5,000 friends this month as the publisher prepares itself for a "Secret Invasion."
- Heroes Initiative to publish Mike Wieringo's final Marvel Comics work as a benefit book - When artist Mike Wieringo passed away, he was in the middle of his latest Marvel Comics book, a What If? story. Mike had completed seven pages of what became a massive 27-page story. With Mikes passing, Marvel Comics generously provided access to the script and Mikes art to The Hero Initiative, and Mikes friends stepped up to finish the story, and pay tribute to Mike.
- "Secret Invasion" shines its spotlight on Black Bolt and The Inhumans - Whether hes dead or missing, SECRET INVASION will make Black Bolts family truly Inhuman!
- "Sam & Lilah" jumps from Zuda Comics competition to ACT-I-VATE webcomic lineup - Fresh off a commanding fourth-place finish in Zuda Comics' March 2008 Competition, SAM & LILAH will be making a move to its new home as part of the online comics collective ACT-I-VATE, beginning with new pages on May 1.
Comic Book Movie
- COMICS: The Trial of Jean Grey Begins In First Look At GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11.NOW - The Guardians of the Galaxy get a reminder of Earth when they cross paths with the All-New X-Men during the TRIAL OF JEAN GREY! When an alien race discovers that the original Jean Grey is back on Earth, they decide to hold her accountable for the acts of the Dark Phoenix, and it’s up to the Guardians to help the X-Men save her. You won’t want to miss the first encounter between two of the biggest franchises in the Marvel U!
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11.NOW
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Pencils Cover by SARA PICHELLI
Variant Cover by DALE KEOWN
- Storyboards Exclusive Concept Art From Cancelled THE FLASH Video Game -
In early 2008, Brash Entertainment, who owned the license to DC Comics games, hired BottleRocket Entertainment to create a video game adaption of the DC Comics character, The Flash. The project came to a halt when Brash Entertainment folded in November of 2008. By that time, BottleRocket had already put in ten months worth of work, 3 to 4 months of pre-production and 6 months of actual production. The game still required another years worth of work to get to completion.
Last several day, Ive posted navigation, combat and gameplay animatics, as well as plenty of fantastic concept art. Today, the games Lead Designer, Greg Miller, has sent over storyboards and never-before-seen concept art. The storyboards were created by Roger Robinsons, as well as his character designs for Grodd, Tarpit and a Speed Demon. Theres also two painted concept pieces of Central City done by Shane Nakamura. Lastly, a shot
- Grant Gustin Talks More About THE FLASHs Origin; HD ARROW Blast Radius Promo Released - After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. He returned home to Starling City, welcomed by his devoted mother Moira (Susanna Thompson), beloved sister Thea (Willa Holland) and former flame Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). With the aid of his trusted chauffeur/bodyguard John Diggle (David Ramsey), the computer-hacking skills of Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) and the occasional, reluctant assistance of former police detective, now beat cop, Quentin Lance (Paul Blackthorne), Oliver has been waging a one-man war on crime.
- Spideys Visits Times Square In New Still From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 - Click on the image below to view the full-size version.
In The Amazing Spider-Man™ 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.
Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy
Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watson
Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon/Electro
Sally Fields as Aunt May
RELEASE DATE: May 2nd, 2014.
- Sony Buys 2014 Super Bowl Television Spot For THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 -
We already knew from Michael Bay that a Transformers: Age of Extinction Super Bowl television spot was coming, but outside of that we werent too sure which other films would be represented, until now. According to Deadline, Sony will also market Marc Webbs The Amazing Spider-Man 2 during the American football event.
Sony will use the Super Bowl to advertise its rebooted superhero franchise installment The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which will open in May in IMAX 3D and conventional theaters.
Also of interest, Deadline reports that Warner Bros. did not purchase a single spot, and that Lionsgate bought a Super Bowl pre-game spot, but at this time they did not know for which film. Im assuming it would be for Divergent, which opens in March a month after the Super Bowl. As for Disney, they bought one TV spot, but they havent decide which film they are going to promote in that
- COMICS: Star-Lord Gets A Movie Makeover For GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY FCBD Issue - The line between Marvels movie and comic book universes continues to get more and more blurred as the cover for the Free Comic Book Day Guardians of the Galaxy special reveals a new look for Star-Lord. Despite the fact that the publisher made a big deal out of the new Steve McNiven designed costumes for the team when the title launched, its clear that at least Star-Lords has been ditched in preference of one which matches the suit which will be worn by Chris Pratt in the James Gunn helmed movie. How do you guys feel about this alteration? Sound off below!
In an all-new story by award-winning writer Brian Michael Bendis and acclaimed artist Nick Bradshaw, the Guardians of the Galaxy welcome Venom and Captain Marvel to the team for the launch of a not-to-be-missed death-defying epic! PLUS: Writer Dan Slott lays the foundation for 2014’s top secret Spider-Man event that
- MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Actress Nabs Female Lead In GODS OF EGYPT -
THR report that Cortney Eaton, whos only other big-screen role thus far is the still unreleased Mad Max: Fury Road, has landed the female lead role in Alex Proyas Gods Of Egypt. Shell play Zaya, the slave girl who is cursed by Set (Gerard Butler). This prompts Brenton Thwaites character Bek to fall in with Horus (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) in the hope that togther they can defeat Set and break the curse. Proyas wrote the script with Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama, who are behind Universal’s upcoming horror saga Dracula Untold.
- THOR (2011) : Alternate Weapon Armor Designs For The Frost Giants Of Jotunheim -
Concept Art by David Woodland
gt;Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment present the epic adventure, Thor, which spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It’s while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.
THOR - was directed by Kenneth Branagh, from a screenplay written by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne. The film stars: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman,
- BOX OFFICE: THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG Scores $8.5M In International Openings -
Deadline reports that The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug took a total of $8.5 million on its opening day in a number of international markets, putting it well on track to to at least do as well as - if not better than - 2012s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Analysts are predicting that the sequel will earn upwards of $85 million when its released in North America tomorrow. The first instalment opened to $84.6 million, before going on to gross a total of $303 million domestically. The sequel is also released in an additional 49 territories on Friday, and despite a slightly later Japanese debut, an overall total worldwide cume of over $1 billion is expected. So far, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug has grossed $2.8 million in France, and had the biggest opening of 2013 in countries like Holland, Belgium and Switzerland. Will you be checking it out
- COSPLAY: Zoinks! Jadababy As Velma, Wednesday Addams Catwoman -
Scooby-Doo - Velma
Addams Family - Wednesday Addams
Toy Story 2 - Jessie
Catwoman (2004) - Patience Phillips
Patience Philips is dead - and more alive then ever. Murdered after she learns the secret behind a cosmetic firms anti-aging cream, shes revived and empowered by mystical felines. Now shes on the slinky prowl for adventure and revenge. Shes Catwoman.
Academy Award winner Halle Berry plays the sleek, whip-cracking feline fatale, Benjamin Bratt is a cop torn between romance and duty, and Sharon Stone is an ice-blooded supermodel with something to hide in a kicky and stylish Catwoman. With catlike grace, a knack for landing on her feet, a passion for sushi and a loathing for dogs, Berry is a perfect force to reckon with. Shes action. With attitude.
- More From ARROWs Creative Team On The Mask, Deathstroke, Ras Al Ghul And More -
Since day one, a big complaint from even the most die-hard of Arrow fans has been the fact that Oliver Queen doesnt wear a mask. Well, that all changed in the season two midseason finale when Barry Allen left it for The Arrow on his way back to Starling City. We saw like 50 or 60 different designs, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg explains. Some of the earlier ones were crazy. It worked out really well. When we had the pilot, we debated having a mask. We decided to punt for a variety of reasons -- most importantly, it was that if you put a mask on him right away, it sort of says, This is cartoony or superhero-y. It also fit in with his character. He wasnt someone who ever thought he would be interacting with people. He thought hed be this dark sniper, firing arrows from the shadows. As the
- A New J.A.R.V.I.S. Rumored To Be In THE AVENGERS 2; Don Cheadle Said To Have A Key Role - In an effort to confirm from their own sources that USA Today wasnt making an assumption and that Don Cheadle will indeed reprise his Iron Man 3 role in The Avengers sequel, Bleeding Cool has possibly revealed an additional Age of Ultron cast member and an intriguing major plot point.
Suggesting first that theres been a lot of info circulating that involves The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Bleeding Cools sources report that English actor Simon McBurney is in line to take a role. However, theyre unable to confirm the current stage of his casting, or the character hell play. But what theyve been told, presumably by another source, is that McBurney will be playing J.A.R.V.I.S. Not a computer voice Jarvis, mind you, but an actual Butler called Jarvis, the site added.
UPDATE: Back on the inclusion of Don Cheadle, HitFix can also confirm that Col. Rhodes, aka War Machine, has a key
- Smaug Has His Eye On Bilbo Baggins In New Poster For THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG - quot;There is nowhere to hide…quot; New poster for #TheHobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – in theaters this weekend! pic.twitter.com/QOw3hqadfYmdash; The Hobbit (@TheHobbitMovie) December 12, 2013
The second in a trilogy of films adapting the enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug continues the adventure of the title character Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) as he journeys with the Wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and thirteen Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) on an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.
Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins
Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey
Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield
Graham McTavish as Dwalin
Ken Stott as Balin
Aidan Turner as Kíli
Dean OGorman as Fíli
Mark Hadlow as Dori
Jed Brophy as Nori
Adam Brown as Ori
John Callen as Óin
Peter Hambleton as Glóin
William Kircher as Bifur
James Nesbitt as Bofur
Stephen Hunter as Bombur
Luke Evans as Bard the Bowman
Hugo Weaving as Elrond
Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
Orlando Bloom as Legolas
- THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2: Eddie Brock And The Enforcers Featured In Latest Daily Bugle Viral -
What began as a mob shoot-out escalated into a full-blown superhuman slugfest when the vigilante known as Spider-Man appeared on the scene. An argument inside the Zero One Lounge turned ugly when reputed mob enforcer, “Fancy” Dan Brito, pulled a gun on rivals from the Manfredi crime family. As club-goers fled onto the streets of the Meatpacking District, Spider-Man dropped down out of the sky.
Not content to merely take the law into his own hands, bystanders claimed that Spider-Man mocked the thugs as he delivered a one-two punch that sent them soaring.
“It was hard to see from where I was hiding,” said witness Andrea Moore of Park Slope, “but I heard someone, I’m pretty sure it was Spider-Man, say, ‘I hope you’re not afraid of heights,’ and then one of those guys screamed as he landed on top of a fire escape.”
When pressed about any crimes she may have witnessed Spider-Man
- Rors Best Worst Of 2013 Part 1 - 5) IRON MAN 3
Although I didnt love Marvels third Iron Man movie, I enjoyed it enough for it to be included in this best of list. The film certainly divided fans - but seemingly more for that endlessly debated Mandarin twist than for the problems I had with it. While frequently funny, I felt humor was used a bit too much throughout, offsetting some of the drama. That doesnt mean there arent some incredible sequences on show, and of course we get another excellent turn from Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. A very entertaining action comedy, with maybe just a bit too much emphasis on the comedy for my liking. But while not reaching the heights of the first Iron Man, Shane Blacks film is a definite improvement on the second. A very good, if not quite great start to Marvels Phase 2.
4) THE WOLVERINE
A very pleasant surprise
- VIDEO GAMES: New Trailer For Telltales THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON TWO Released - The Walking Dead: Season Two continues the story of Clementine, a young girl orphaned by the undead apocalypse. Left to fend for herself, she has been forced to learn how to survive in a world gone mad. Many months have passed since the events seen in Season One of The Walking Dead, and Clementine is searching for safety. But what can an ordinary child do to stay alive when the living can be just as bad -- and sometimes worse -- than the dead? As Clementine, you will be tested by situations and dilemmas that will test your morals and your instinct for survival. Your decisions and actions will change the story around you, in this sequel to 2012s Game of the Year.
- FEATURE: The Ten Best Comic Book Covers From Marvels March 2014 Solicitations - 10. WINTER SOLDIER: THE BITTER MARCH #2
• Shield agent Ran Shen is responsible for escorting the two most important humans on the planet to the United States.
• The only thing in his way is Winter Soldier. And the only thing in the Winter Soldier’s way is an elite Hydra squad run by Chancellor Cassandra and Madam Worm.
• Rate pace, high adventure, sex, murder, intrigue, in this 1960’s spy action story that will have ramification echoing to the modern Marvel Universe!
9. MOON KNIGHT #1
Marc Spector is Moon Knight!...Or is he? It’s hard to tell these days, especially when New York’s wildest vigilante protects the street with two-fisted justice and three—that’s right, count ‘em—different personalities! But even with the mystical force of Khonshu fueling his crusade, how does the night’s greatest detective save a city that’s as twisted as he is? The road to victory is going to hurt. A lot.
- Don Cheadle To Return As James Rhodey Rhodes In THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON? -
With the main horde of superhero actors and their villain officially on board, therere surely other supporting cast members and cameo reveals to look forward to in Marvels next big superhero assembly, The Avengers: Age of Ultron. While filming starts next spring, actor Don Cheadle has seemingly revealed to USA Today that hell have a part to film in the next Avengers movie, which indicates that hell reprise his Iron Man 3 role as Colonel James Rhodey Rhodes alongside Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. But will Rhodey also suit up as War Machine... er Iron Patriot?
We should note that the USA Today article intended to highlight Don Cheadles response to him being recognized at the Golden Globes for his Showtime series House of Lies, so it failed include the actors actual quote about the Age of Ultron. However, the context does imply that Cheadle declared his inclusion in the Marvel sequel
- Geoff Johns And Andrew Kreisberg Talk THE FLASHs Future After ARROWs Electrifying Finale -
Im mostly looking forward to getting the pilot script and seeing how Barrys going to handle this happening to him, Grant Gustin told Comic Book Resources when asked about the electrifying final moments of last nights Arrow (you can watch the scene where Barry Allen gains his powers by clicking HERE). Hes not just excited. Its scary. Thats what I loved about the character in the audition process -- its not just he loves superheroes, and hes a fanboy, and all of a sudden hes like, Im going to be one, Im really stoked about it. Its kind of like, This is terrifying. This is really happening to me. Im really excited to play more of that. One of the biggest questions moving forward is how The Flash will differentiate itself from Arrow, especially now that the latter seems to be embracing superpowered characters. Well want to keep Arrow as distinctive
- First Look At Johnny Depp Morgan Freeman In Wally Pfisters TRANSCENDENCE -
Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him. However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed—to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can…but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will’s thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Mismatched tag at line 123, column 8) in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/index.php on line 157
About Comic Books
- Top Comic Book Sidekicks -
Each comic book has its superstar, the main character, the top dog that stands tall over the rest of the characters as its primary focus. These characters like Captain America, Batman, and Green Arrow are the main thing that drives the storylines along. These heroes are the ones in the spotlight and take on the heavy lifting, but they are often not alone. The sidekick was created to accompany these heroes and provide an added layer of complexity to their already full lives. Check out more in this list of Top Comic Book Sidekicks.
Image Copyright Marvelp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Top Comic Book Sidekicks/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:23:30./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm&zItl=Top Comic Book Sidekicks"Email this/a/p
- Action Lab Comics and Reviews -
It is always interesting to see the kinds of comic books that come out from the smaller publishers. While I would say the top and more memorable characters are still in The Big Two, it is these small press companies that I think are coming out with the better stories as a whole. I am very enamored with the creator owned concept and love to see that singular voice coming through a project.
Action Lab Comics is that kind of small comic book publisher. They hit it big with their highly acclaimed series Princeless and have many other comic books in their stable. One such recent acquisition is Skyward, by Jeremy Dale. I got a chance to review the first in the series as they are relaunching the once self-published comic book. Take a look at my review and see what memories it drug up for this long time fantasy fan.
I also got a chance to review the Adventure Time Annual #1. It was a pretty cool read with some interesting takes on the Adventure Time universe.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Action Lab Comics and Reviews/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:21:19./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm&zItl=Action Lab Comics and Reviews"Email this/a/p
- Hound Comics -
Whenever I get the chance to attend a comic book convention, I'm always on the lookout for talent and things that are new to the comic book industry. New publishers, creators, companies, you name it, I love seeing new stuff. When I went to Wizard World: Portland, I ran into a group of guys from Hound Comics, a young comic book publisher that had a lot of different products and some interesting characters to boot. I spoke with CEO and ex professional wrestler Brimstone for a bit and took home some items from their booth.
Hound Comics is the sort of place a lot of independent publishers should take note of as they embody the spirit of the entrepreneur like none I've seen recently. Not only do they have a line of comics based off of his wrestling persona, but also a other creator owned comic books, a food line, apparel, and a slate of other products. I got the chance to interview Hound Comics and got some insight into the mind behind the publishing company and was excited to peek behind the veil and see how things tick at Hound Comics. Check out the interview with Brimstone, CEO of Hound Entertainment Group.
Image Copyright Hound Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Hound Comics/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:39:38./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm&zItl=Hound Comics"Email this/a/p
- New Image Titles -
It would seem a lot of creators are turning to Image Comics to get their visions out into the hands of comic book fans. I have seen a bevy of high profile creator owned series coming out of Image and it is really great to see. Joe's Comics has restarted and their first comic book out is Ten Grand, written by Straczynski himself and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. The duo really hit the mark for me and I thoroughly enjoyed what looks to be the first in a good slate of comic books coming out of this new Image imprint. Another comic I got a chance to sink my teeth into was Chin Music by Steve Niles and Tony Harris. It was very interesting to see two comic books combining the whole occult/crime thing and the two took very divergent paths. I enjoyed them both and look forward to the comic books Image will be putting out.
Image Copyright Image Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"New Image Titles/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:05:46./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm&zItl=New Image Titles"Email this/a/p
- Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation -
Did you know that the website Kickstarter.com is the second largest graphic novel publisher in the U.S. according to Publishers Weekly? It beats out DC in terms of revenue off of these graphic novels and is only just behind Marvel. The term "publisher" is a bit loose here in that the company isn't directly responsible for the final product, but the proof that so many comics are created now through Kickstarter is astounding and awesome!
I've been able to talk to a couple of creators about the Kickstarting process in The Only Living Boy and Rumpus on the Run and the whole concept is exhilarating to think about the avenues that are open for creators to make comic books nowadays. Apparently the process isn't that new as according to Kickstarter, even the likes of Beethoven used a form of crowdsourcing to fund his works. Check out if Kickstarter is right for you and how you can take advantage of this great new concept.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 31st, 2013 at 20:03:32./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm&zItl=Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation"Email this/a/p
- Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run -
Kickstarter is such an interesting new avenue for creators. With the right idea, pitch, and networking you can fund just about anything. Order Of The Stick funded a republishing drive and raised over 1.5 million dollars. Penny Arcade raised funds to remove advertising from their website and received over 500 thousand dollars. Now most campaigns are much smaller and won't bring in this kind of money, but for a small press comic book, not a lot can be needed. I got a chance to sit with a creator that has been on the Kickstarting ride with his latest endeavor Rumpus On The Run and right now his project is funded for the softcover version of the book, but Jess Smart Smiley also has dreams to bring his book to hardcover status. There is just a few days to go so be sure to head over this his Kickstarter Campaign first, then over the interview I did with Smiley about the process, his latest work, and kicsktarting comics.
Image Copyright Jess Smart Smileyp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 24th, 2013 at 23:40:16./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm&zItl=Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run"Email this/a/p
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review -
I was really glad I got the chance to go to the Wizard World Portland Comic Con. It was the first time the con was conducted in Stumptown, my hometown of Portland, Oregon. That's Or-e-gun all smoothed together in one go and not Or-ee-gone as out of towners like to say. Although there were some things I found concerning, overall it was a smashing success that this town truly embraced. Take a look at a review of Wizard World Portland to see what was great and what could use some work on for next year. If you are interested in going next year, and I would recommend it, Wizard is doing a special promotion that will work until Monday Feb 25th at Noon. Use the code Portland2013 to get a special discount on next year's entrance to Wizard World Portland Comic Con.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, February 24th, 2013 at 23:26:10./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm&zItl=Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review"Email this/a/p
- First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con -
The Wizard World Portland Comic Con was in full effect today in Portland, Oregon and the convention floor was hopping with fans, creators, and celebrities. It is odd that this hasn't happened sooner as Portland is actually one of the largest comics town in the USA. Many creators such as Bendis and Busiek make their home in this area and there are many publishers like Dark Horse, Top Shelf, and Oni here as well. Don't forget that the statue company Bowen Designs resides were to!. This is a great place for comic books and has a great indy convention in the Stumptown Comics Fest, but Wizard World is going for a large scale feel and I think they have a good start. It was interesting that there was a lack of publishers showcasing here and it might be that the Emerald City Comic Con is next weekend in Seattle, WA. Either way I had a good time and met some new people. More to come.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 01:02:09./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm&zItl=First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con"Email this/a/p
- Heading to Wizard World Portland -
Well it looks like I will be able to attend Wizard World Portland this year and will be heading down for a couple of days of fun at the Oregon Convention Center. I am curious to see what happens as there is something of a duel happening in Portland between Wizard World and Rose City Comic-Con. Wizard World has had something of a bad rap at times and Rose City is partnering with Emerald City Comic Con to partner in running their convention. I hope to see how they handle Portland and if the convention can be the kind of convention this city could use. I will report back with my findings and see just what it has in store.
Image Copyright Wizard Worldp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Heading to Wizard World Portland/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 00:41:14./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm&zItl=Heading to Wizard World Portland"Email this/a/p
- Superheroes For Hospice Interview -
Comic book charities are a very cool thing in my mind as they merge something that we love with a good cause. There are many great comic book charities out there right now and one of them is Superheroes for Hospice. This event is a mini-convention where fans can come and get comic books on the cheap. All the profits go to the hospice and help those in need in the New Jersey area. This gives comic collectors another way to get rid of unwanted comic books as the donations they use to stock the event are tax deductible. I got a chance to interview the man behind the curtains, Spiro Ballas, who gave me the skinny on what the hospice does and how you can help others through comic books.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Superheroes For Hospice Interview/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 00:05:11./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm&zItl=Superheroes For Hospice Interview"Email this/a/p
Comic Book Conventions.com
Comic Book News from
- Amp - Take one arrogant 19 year old, give him as many superpowers as the military can afford and stand back. Responsibility? Out of the window. Heroics? No, sir. Amp just wants to be loved, well adored really, perhaps even worshipped if he can just get his own chat show!
However, the military has other ideas.
- Bonds of Blood (Volume 1) - The first seven issues of Bonds of Blood all together in one nifty trade paperback!
- Justice - After witnessing his wife's rapist avoid a prison sentence, Alan vows to bring the rapist to justice. In a world where superheroes dictate right and wrong, Alan dons a mask and cape to track the villain down.
However, he soon learns that there's a lot more to being a superhero than an extravagant costume and a butch name...
- Kincaid #1 - Kincaid #1 introduces us to the story of Elvis Kincaid, a heroin addicted punk rock musician, who finds himself thrown into a world of global conspiracy, political intrigue and super powered individuals. Far from normal super hero fare, Kincaid is a gritty title showing the darker side of life.
As much as it focuses on the underbelly of the world, Kincaid is also a tale of one man's self-becoming and personal empowerment, creating a rich and original comic book experience.
- Legend of The Winged Tiger - Full color version of Phil Yeh's bestselling Winged Tiger #1 comic.
This new version features Lieve Jerger's brilliant coloring and a brand new cover.
- Tugger / Burnt Out Comix Flipbook - Murphy Beach Studio presents a 2-fer flipbook with 2 stories, 2 covers & only 1 price!
Cousin Joey is back and featured in the silly, surreal, underground of Tugger Comix and Burnt Out Comix where the world is a pressure cooker but there are ways to getting out of it. Weird. Funny. Silly.
- Apocrypha #1, Anarchy's Birth - They wanted to break her, they wanted to to turn her into a tool of their religious tyranny, they failed.
Violence shall begat violence.
Mature readers (18+) only.
- Cigarette Stories#2: Addicted to the Drama - Our story continues: What happened to Germ. Why can't Jerry remember anything? Who are "the guests" and why do they need an armed reception? Jeri and her friends make an appearance, too.
- Cosmic Samaritan #1, The - In the first of a four part story arc, enter Joshua Price. A conflicted teenager who struggles between his faith and the worldly temptations he must face. Soon, Joshua is chosen to wield supernatural power. A power he cannot yet fully comprehend. Will Joshua use his new abilities for the good of mankind or continue to lead his own path towards darkness?
Get ready for amazing superhero action and adventure as the premiere issue of THE COSMIC SAMARITAN takes flight!
- Entombed Issue #0 - Kyle Burden, dedicated Egyptologist and brilliant inventor, is betrayed by a trusted mentor and sealed in an Egyptian sarcophagus for an entire year!
After returning to the outside world, Kyle is overwhelmed by waves of crippling agoraphobia. Climbing into his greatest invention, Professor Burden himself becomes his most diabolical and twisted creation.