Comic Book News from Around the Web
What's happening on the Gravyboard?
Comic Book Movie
- We Need This Adorable GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 Baby Groot Maquette To Go On Sale Right NOW - Perhaps one of the most exciting things about the upcoming release of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - aside from the movie itself - is the fact that we'll be able to get our hands on some Baby Groot merchandise. The maquette below probably won't be among that as it was made for the production itself (as concept artist Andy Park explains), but what Hot Toys delivers likely won't look too different.
Throw in action figures, soft toys, Funko POPs and more, and Baby Groot is going to be a must have next May. He certainly stole the show in the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but will he still be a baby when the team of A-Holes meet Earth's Mightiest Heroes in Avengers: Infinity War? We'll have to wait and see, but Marvel and Disney's licensing department is no doubt hoping he will be!
Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan,
- Mark Hamill Channels His Iconic Take On The Joker In This Clip From Tonight's Episode Of THE FLASH - In tonight's instalment of The Flash, "The Present", Barry returns to Earth 3 to recruit Jay Garrick in an attempt to take down Savitar - but first he must help him solve a little Trickster problem.
Some recent set pics and official stills revealed that Mark Hamill's Earth 3 incarnation of the villain seemed to be influenced by The Joker, and when you hear him speak in this new clip it'll leave little doubt that the Star Wars actor dipped into his acclaimed take on The Clown Prince of Crime from the classic Batman: The Animated Series in order to bring this version of James Jesse to life.
BARRY SEEKS HELP FROM JAY GARRICK — With Alchemy and Savitar still looming threats, Barry (Grant Gustin) is unable to focus on the Christmas holiday, and especially his relationship with Iris (Candice Patton). Determined to stop Savitar, Barry goes to Earth-3 to get advice from Jay Garrick (guest star John Wesley Shipp). Wally (Keiynan Lonsdale)
- New Official IRON FIST Images Spotlight Danny Rand, Colleen Wing, Claire Temple, Joy Meachum And More - Following the teaser trailer and a lot of set snaps, IGN has debuted the first 4 official stills from Marvel and Netflix's Iron Fist, giving us another look at Finn Jones as the titular hero, who appears to be training in Colleen Wing's (Jessica Henwick) dojo.
Wing is also featured in her own pic, and then again alongside Rand and the returning Claire Temple (Rosario Dawnson). Then finally we have Joy (Jessica Stroup) and Ward Meachum (Tom Pelphrey), who will almost certainly be causing very different kinds of problems for Iron Fist and friends.
Daniel Rand returns to New York City after being missing for years. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.
Iron Fist will be the last piece of The Defenders puzzle, and will eventually join Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Daredevil to form the Marvel Comics super-team.
- The Color-Coded Heroes Assemble On This New Banner For The POWER RANGERS Reboot - Our last couple of Power Rangers-related articles spotlighted the supporting characters, but this latest piece of promotional material for the new movie returns the focus to the team of young heroes.
It's difficult to get a read on how excited fans are for this. The trailer went down pretty well for the most part, but the recent Alpha 5 concept art was met with derision, and there seems to be a general air of indifference surrounding the movie at this point. Hopefully another trailer showing the team fully suited up and in action will change that.
Saban's Power Rangers follows five ordinary high school kids who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover that they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so they will have to overcome
- THE FLASH: John Wesley Shipp's Jay Garrick Initially Believes Savitar Is A Speed Force Myth - It's not easy being The Flash right now. Not only did the hero alter his reality by time-travelling, but those same antics, as it turns out, were the catalyst for last week's invasion by the alien Dominators. Coupled with the fact that there's an all-powerful Speed Force God named Savitar ready to eradicate him, an overwhelmed Barry will turn to Jay Garrick in tonight's mid season finale. However, according to actor John Wesley Shipp, Jay initially believes Savitar to be a myth.
“Well, to set it up, Jay’s not sure that Savitar even exists. He’s a Speed Force myth and — as an unseen, unknown fear — is even bigger than a fear that you know,” Shipp explained to CBR. “First of all, Jay is surprised — maybe even a little miffed — that Savitar showed himself to Barry! I’ve known him as a myth my whole life, me being Jay, and when I come up against him, I know that Jay knows that
- It's Optimus Prime Vs. Bumblebee In The EPIC First Trailer For TRANSFORMERS: THE LAST KNIGHT -
Chances are you either love or hate the Transformers franchise, but there's no denying that The Last Knight looks pretty good! Kicking things off with a three headed dragon and then wrapping up with Optimus Prime seemingly killing Bumblebee, there's a lot to talk about here for fans of these characters.
Set to be released on June 23rd next year, Transformers: The Last Knight will feature the return of Mark Wahlberg as Cade Yeager as well as new roles for Isabela Moner and Jerrod Carmichael. With Bay back in the director’s chair, the screenplay for the movie was written by Iron Man's Art Marcum and Matt Holloway along with Ken Nolan (Black Hawk Down). Plot details are currently being kept under wraps, but the trailer below does at least offer some insight into what we should expect from the movie!
What do you guys think of this action-packed preview? Share your thoughts in the usual place...
- More New Footage In This Latest ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS Story TV Spot And A Jyn Erso Featurette - Just under 2 weeks until we return to the galaxy far, far away with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, but if you're still interested in checking out some new footage, there's some cool stuff in these latest vids.
The "Surrender" TV spot features previously unseen shots of the destruction of Jedha, and our heroes scrambling to make their escape. Plus, the "Introducing Jyn Erso" featurette tells us a little more about the movie's main character(Felicity Jones), and how/why the Rebels come to her for help in the first place.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is directed by Gareth Edwards and stars Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Riz Ahmed, with Jiang Wen and Forest Whitaker. Kathleen Kennedy, Allison Shearmur and Simon Emanuel are producing, with John Knoll and Jason McGatlin serving as executive producers.
The movie opens in U.S. theaters on December 16, 2016.
- DEADPOOL And GOTHAM Star Morena Baccarin Strips Off For GQ Mexico Photoshoot - After playing Dr. Leslie Thompkins in Gotham and Vanessa Carlysle in Deadpool, Morena Baccarin is a familiar face here on CBM. While she continues to star in the former, it remains to be seen whether or not "Copycat" will return in the Merc with the Mouth's highly anticipated sequel, but here's hoping!
However, with Domino set to join the franchise, it could be that Wade Wilson winds up with a new love interest. That would be a shame after all the work which went into developing her relationship with Deadpool in the first movie, but hopefully we'll hear more on that before production begins next year.
Anyway, you can check out Baccarin's GQ Mexico photoshoot below courtesy of Movie Hotties.
- GOTG Vol. 2: Vin Diesel Teases The Possibility Of A Groot/Rocket Spinoff And A Battle With The Hulk - Screen Junkies caught up with Vin Diesel at Brazil's CCXP over the weekend, and the actor dropped some intriguing hints in regards to what might be next for Rocket Raccoon and his character, Groot, following their next big screen outing in Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2.
The Fast and Furious star seems pretty confident that it's only a matter of time before we see thie dynamic duo get the spinoff treatment, and he also says he "knows" that Groot VS. The Incredible Hulk is in the cards.
"I think if it’s up to James Gunn, you are going to see a Groot and Rocket movie after Infinity War. I think that’s highly possible. We shall see. I know that, somewhere in the universe, you are going to see Groot and Hulk battle. You can write it somewhere. You are going to see that poster: Hulk vs. Groot.
Now keep in mind this may just be wishful thinking on Diesel's part, but then there
- Yo-Yo Runs Into A Trap In This New Sneak Peek From The AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. Winter Finale - Tomorrow's winter finale of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promises to be an eventful one, as Coulson sends his biggest guns (Quake, Yo-Yo and Ghost Rider) up against the now ultra-powerful Eli Morrow.
In this new clip, the trio arrive at his location, but things don't go according to plan when Yo-Yo triggers an explosion. Will the Inhuman speedster manage to get her friends clear of the blast in time?
“The Laws of Inferno Dynamics” – S.H.I.E.L.D. and Ghost Rider find themselves unlikely allies when the lives of all of Los Angeles hang in the balance, on the winter finale of “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.
“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz, Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons and Henry Simmons as Agent Alphonso “Mack” MacKenzie.
Guest starring are John Hannah as Holden
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2's First Trailer Is The Second Highest Viewed Teaser Of All-Time - There's no two ways about it; the first teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was awesome. While it didn't reveal a great deal about the plot, it did blow us away with some incredible visuals and perhaps the cutest character ever seen in a superhero movie: Baby Groot. It should probably come as no surprise then that the trailer has been a hit, something director James Gunn celebrated today.
The success of the first Guardians of the Galaxy took everyone by surprise back in 2014, so the fact that moviegoers and fans alike are excited about the sequel is to be expected. However, you have to believe that this is a strong sign that Vol. 2 will be a massive hit, and it earning $1 billion at the box office wouldn't be remotely surprising. Time will tell, but check out Gunn's Facebook post in full beow.
Holy crap! With 81 million views in its first 24 hours, the Guardians of
- BOX OFFICE: DOCTOR STRANGE Has Now Topped IRON MAN 2 At The Worldwide Box Office - With $215 million at the North American box office and $419 million overseas, Doctor Strange has now earned $634 million worldwide. That means it has passed Iron Man 2 globally, and it should easily top Thor: The Dark World's $644 million in the coming weeks. Whether it will be able to beat Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($714 million) remains to be seen, but this is a pretty amazing result.
Going back to this weekend, and Moana - which stars Dwayne Johnson - came out on top with $28 million. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was in second place, and has now hit $600 million worldwide. It may not be a $1 billion hit like the final Harry Potter movie, but that's a solid start for a franchise Warner Bros. hopes will launch four more sequels. Oh, and Arrival has now hit $100 million.
What did you guys watch this weekend? How high do you think Doctor Strange will ultimately go? As
- Premiere Date And Trippy New Trailer For FX's LEGION TV Series Revealed - FX has announced that Legion will premiere on February 8th, and a new trailer has been released to accompany the news. The series looks pretty bizarre to say the least, and it's not a preview which is exactly packed full of moments which seem to pay homage to the hero's comic book counterpart.
Legion is the story of a troubled young man who may be more than human. It introduces the story of David Haller, who since he was a teenager, has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. It's a cool premise, but looks a lot different to the X-Men movies.
Created by Fargo’s Noah Hawley, Legion stars Dan Stevens in the title role and has a great ensemble cast made up of Rachel
- Will Michael Bay Direct A Marvel Or DC Comics Movie? The TRANSFORMERS Helmer Reveals All -
Transformers: The Last Knight will be director Michael Bay's fifth movie in that franchise, and regardless of the critical reception to them, they've all been massive box office successes. So, surely the filmmaker is being courted to work on a big superhero movie, right? Well, during an interview with Collider, Bay made his feelings on the genre clear and it doesn't sound like he has too much interest.
However, it's not because he isn't a fan! "I really liked Civil War. I like a lot of the Marvel movies," Bay said. "When I saw Iron Man, it broke a lot of new ground for me, and it was a great character. Funny, witty, I liked that about it." However, he added that he does, "wonder where [superhero movies] are going to go," due to the fact that Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Captain America: Civil War have, "almost the same setup." So, will he he try to shake things up by
- SPOILERS: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY's Original Trilogy Cameos May Have Been Revealed -
Star Wars News has spotted a Reddit post which seemingly spills the beans on all of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story's surprise cameos. The person who shared the list claimed that their line of work means that the movie's credits made their way on to his desk (so, take this with a pinch of salt for now), and if it's accurate, we can expect to see a fair few familiar faces from the original trilogy in this release.
Apparently, Avengers: Age of Ultron actress Ingvild Deila is going to star as a young Princess Leia, and while she's not exactly Carrie Fisher's doppelganger, it's easy to imagine her playing the character.
Spencer Wilding and Daniel Naprous are credited with being inside Darth Vader's iconic costume (there go those rumours about Hayden Christensen returning), while British actor Guy Henry (Harry Potter) will play Governor Tarkin. Game of Thrones alum Ian McElhinney will be Rebel General Dodonna, and you have to give Lucasfilm credit for managing to
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Vol. 2 Trailer - Ten Things You Might Have Missed -
Check out all the Easter Eggs, References, Things Missed, as well as a closer look at the second Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 trailer below, and be sure to subscribe to Mr Sunday's YouTube channel, youtube.com/mrsundaymovies. If you want. No pressure.
- Even More Awesome Footage Revealed In The First Featurette For THE MUMMY -
Tom Cruise has released the first featurette for The Mummy, and if you weren't already sold on the idea of this reboot, you probably will be after watching this! Showing off some impressive stunts and cool new footage, it looks like Universal may have succeeded in delivering a great opening chapter for their shared monsters universe. In fact, this may make you wish Alex Kurtzman had directed Venom!
The new scenes here reveal that we'll be heading back to Ancient Egypt to spend some time with The Mummy before she was the monster we saw in the trailer, while Tom Cruise's character can also be seen engaging in a pretty brutal looking fight with Russell Crowe's Dr. Jekyll. Of course, based on what we see here, you have to wonder whether or not he might be a little more Mr. Hyde by this point.
Starring Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis, Jake Johnson, Courtney B. Vance, and Russell Crowe, The Mummy is set
- SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING Seemingly Receives A Much Cleaner, Updated Title Logo - There's been plenty of buzz for Peter Parker's first solo adventure in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Spider-Man: Homecoming, especially after new footage from the film screened at Brazil's CCXP on Friday. With plenty of rumors that the first trailer will be debuting very soon (possibly with the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), a new logo has seemingly debuted online via the film's official account on Chinese microblogging service, Weibo.
The new logo, while very similar, sports a much cleaner, three dimensional design than the initial one revealed back in April, along with the Marvel Studios logo on top. Logo changes are not uncommon for Marvel films; Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 also received a logo update between its initial announcement and official unveiling.
What do you think of the new logo? Sound off below! Spider-Man: Homecoming slings into theatres on July 7, 2017.
- Alex Kurtzman Confirms DRACULA UNTOLD Is Not Canon In Universal's Monster Cinematic Universe - With the intense first trailer for The Mummy debuting last night, the internet has been buzzing with the question of whether or not Dracula Untold fits in with the shared universe of classic monsters being planned by Universal Pictures. Due to its poor critical reception, along with murky comments from the cast and crew, the film's status as canon has been in doubt, but according to The Mummy's writer Alex Kurtzman, we can now officially write it off.
When asked by Collider if Dracula Untold would be a part of the shared monster universe, Kurtzman gave a rather definitive "No." It looks like The Mummy will be the new introduction to the world Universal is building, a concept that Kurtzman says started with the studio to begin with. "The thing people forget is that the Universal Monsters were the first mash-up; they were the first universe built. It started with, I think, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, and that was the first time
- The Cast Of Justin Kurzel's ASSASSIN'S CREED Discuss Breaking The Video Game Film Curse -
Unlike comic book films, Hollywood adaptations of video games have never truly received their moment in the spotlight. While franchises like Resident Evil have found financial success, critical reception for these projects often tends to be sour, leading to the belief that there is a "curse" on video game adaptations. In the recent interview with IGN, the cast of the upcoming Assassin's Creed discussed their approach to the film and how they think it will break the curse plaguing films of this nature.
Michael Fassbender is producing the film, along with starring as the protagonist, Callum Lynch. Fassbender acknowledged the problem, but it doesn't obscure his desire to make the best movie possible, "I was naive to be honest, it's only in a hindsight in one, sort of journalists to tell you there's a curse on video games. Then you go through the films that have been made... It's only a curse until somebody makes a good one, and then it's a different story. For me,
About Comic Books
- Top Comic Book Sidekicks -
Each comic book has its superstar, the main character, the top dog that stands tall over the rest of the characters as its primary focus. These characters like Captain America, Batman, and Green Arrow are the main thing that drives the storylines along. These heroes are the ones in the spotlight and take on the heavy lifting, but they are often not alone. The sidekick was created to accompany these heroes and provide an added layer of complexity to their already full lives. Check out more in this list of Top Comic Book Sidekicks.
Image Copyright Marvel
Top Comic Book Sidekicks originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:23:30.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Action Lab Comics and Reviews -
It is always interesting to see the kinds of comic books that come out from the smaller publishers. While I would say the top and more memorable characters are still in The Big Two, it is these small press companies that I think are coming out with the better stories as a whole. I am very enamored with the creator owned concept and love to see that singular voice coming through a project.
Action Lab Comics is that kind of small comic book publisher. They hit it big with their highly acclaimed series Princeless and have many other comic books in their stable. One such recent acquisition is Skyward, by Jeremy Dale. I got a chance to review the first in the series as they are relaunching the once self-published comic book. Take a look at my review and see what memories it drug up for this long time fantasy fan.
I also got a chance to review the Adventure Time Annual #1. It was a pretty cool read with some interesting takes on the Adventure Time universe.
Action Lab Comics and Reviews originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:21:19.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Hound Comics -
Whenever I get the chance to attend a comic book convention, I'm always on the lookout for talent and things that are new to the comic book industry. New publishers, creators, companies, you name it, I love seeing new stuff. When I went to Wizard World: Portland, I ran into a group of guys from Hound Comics, a young comic book publisher that had a lot of different products and some interesting characters to boot. I spoke with CEO and ex professional wrestler Brimstone for a bit and took home some items from their booth.
Hound Comics is the sort of place a lot of independent publishers should take note of as they embody the spirit of the entrepreneur like none I've seen recently. Not only do they have a line of comics based off of his wrestling persona, but also a other creator owned comic books, a food line, apparel, and a slate of other products. I got the chance to interview Hound Comics and got some insight into the mind behind the publishing company and was excited to peek behind the veil and see how things tick at Hound Comics. Check out the interview with Brimstone, CEO of Hound Entertainment Group.
Image Copyright Hound Comics
Hound Comics originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:39:38.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- New Image Titles -
It would seem a lot of creators are turning to Image Comics to get their visions out into the hands of comic book fans. I have seen a bevy of high profile creator owned series coming out of Image and it is really great to see. Joe's Comics has restarted and their first comic book out is Ten Grand, written by Straczynski himself and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. The duo really hit the mark for me and I thoroughly enjoyed what looks to be the first in a good slate of comic books coming out of this new Image imprint. Another comic I got a chance to sink my teeth into was Chin Music by Steve Niles and Tony Harris. It was very interesting to see two comic books combining the whole occult/crime thing and the two took very divergent paths. I enjoyed them both and look forward to the comic books Image will be putting out.
Image Copyright Image Comics
New Image Titles originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:05:46.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation -
Did you know that the website Kickstarter.com is the second largest graphic novel publisher in the U.S. according to Publishers Weekly? It beats out DC in terms of revenue off of these graphic novels and is only just behind Marvel. The term "publisher" is a bit loose here in that the company isn't directly responsible for the final product, but the proof that so many comics are created now through Kickstarter is astounding and awesome!
I've been able to talk to a couple of creators about the Kickstarting process in The Only Living Boy and Rumpus on the Run and the whole concept is exhilarating to think about the avenues that are open for creators to make comic books nowadays. Apparently the process isn't that new as according to Kickstarter, even the likes of Beethoven used a form of crowdsourcing to fund his works. Check out if Kickstarter is right for you and how you can take advantage of this great new concept.
Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Sunday, March 31st, 2013 at 20:03:32.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run -
Kickstarter is such an interesting new avenue for creators. With the right idea, pitch, and networking you can fund just about anything. Order Of The Stick funded a republishing drive and raised over 1.5 million dollars. Penny Arcade raised funds to remove advertising from their website and received over 500 thousand dollars. Now most campaigns are much smaller and won't bring in this kind of money, but for a small press comic book, not a lot can be needed. I got a chance to sit with a creator that has been on the Kickstarting ride with his latest endeavor Rumpus On The Run and right now his project is funded for the softcover version of the book, but Jess Smart Smiley also has dreams to bring his book to hardcover status. There is just a few days to go so be sure to head over this his Kickstarter Campaign first, then over the interview I did with Smiley about the process, his latest work, and kicsktarting comics.
Image Copyright Jess Smart Smiley
Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Sunday, March 24th, 2013 at 23:40:16.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review -
I was really glad I got the chance to go to the Wizard World Portland Comic Con. It was the first time the con was conducted in Stumptown, my hometown of Portland, Oregon. That's Or-e-gun all smoothed together in one go and not Or-ee-gone as out of towners like to say. Although there were some things I found concerning, overall it was a smashing success that this town truly embraced. Take a look at a review of Wizard World Portland to see what was great and what could use some work on for next year. If you are interested in going next year, and I would recommend it, Wizard is doing a special promotion that will work until Monday Feb 25th at Noon. Use the code Portland2013 to get a special discount on next year's entrance to Wizard World Portland Comic Con.
Image Copyright Aaron Albert
Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Sunday, February 24th, 2013 at 23:26:10.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con -
The Wizard World Portland Comic Con was in full effect today in Portland, Oregon and the convention floor was hopping with fans, creators, and celebrities. It is odd that this hasn't happened sooner as Portland is actually one of the largest comics town in the USA. Many creators such as Bendis and Busiek make their home in this area and there are many publishers like Dark Horse, Top Shelf, and Oni here as well. Don't forget that the statue company Bowen Designs resides were to!. This is a great place for comic books and has a great indy convention in the Stumptown Comics Fest, but Wizard World is going for a large scale feel and I think they have a good start. It was interesting that there was a lack of publishers showcasing here and it might be that the Emerald City Comic Con is next weekend in Seattle, WA. Either way I had a good time and met some new people. More to come.
Image Copyright Aaron Albert
First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 01:02:09.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Heading to Wizard World Portland -
Well it looks like I will be able to attend Wizard World Portland this year and will be heading down for a couple of days of fun at the Oregon Convention Center. I am curious to see what happens as there is something of a duel happening in Portland between Wizard World and Rose City Comic-Con. Wizard World has had something of a bad rap at times and Rose City is partnering with Emerald City Comic Con to partner in running their convention. I hope to see how they handle Portland and if the convention can be the kind of convention this city could use. I will report back with my findings and see just what it has in store.
Image Copyright Wizard World
Heading to Wizard World Portland originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 00:41:14.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
- Superheroes For Hospice Interview -
Comic book charities are a very cool thing in my mind as they merge something that we love with a good cause. There are many great comic book charities out there right now and one of them is Superheroes for Hospice. This event is a mini-convention where fans can come and get comic books on the cheap. All the profits go to the hospice and help those in need in the New Jersey area. This gives comic collectors another way to get rid of unwanted comic books as the donations they use to stock the event are tax deductible. I got a chance to interview the man behind the curtains, Spiro Ballas, who gave me the skinny on what the hospice does and how you can help others through comic books.
Superheroes For Hospice Interview originally appeared on About.com Comic Books on Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 00:05:11.
Permalink | Comment | Email this
Comic Book Conventions.com
Comic Book News from
- Amp - Take one arrogant 19 year old, give him as many superpowers as the military can afford and stand back. Responsibility? Out of the window. Heroics? No, sir. Amp just wants to be loved, well adored really, perhaps even worshipped if he can just get his own chat show!
However, the military has other ideas.
- Bonds of Blood (Volume 1) - The first seven issues of Bonds of Blood all together in one nifty trade paperback!
- Justice - After witnessing his wife's rapist avoid a prison sentence, Alan vows to bring the rapist to justice. In a world where superheroes dictate right and wrong, Alan dons a mask and cape to track the villain down.
However, he soon learns that there's a lot more to being a superhero than an extravagant costume and a butch name...
- Kincaid #1 - Kincaid #1 introduces us to the story of Elvis Kincaid, a heroin addicted punk rock musician, who finds himself thrown into a world of global conspiracy, political intrigue and super powered individuals. Far from normal super hero fare, Kincaid is a gritty title showing the darker side of life.
As much as it focuses on the underbelly of the world, Kincaid is also a tale of one man's self-becoming and personal empowerment, creating a rich and original comic book experience.
- Legend of The Winged Tiger - Full color version of Phil Yeh's bestselling Winged Tiger #1 comic.
This new version features Lieve Jerger's brilliant coloring and a brand new cover.
- Tugger / Burnt Out Comix Flipbook - Murphy Beach Studio presents a 2-fer flipbook with 2 stories, 2 covers & only 1 price!
Cousin Joey is back and featured in the silly, surreal, underground of Tugger Comix and Burnt Out Comix where the world is a pressure cooker but there are ways to getting out of it. Weird. Funny. Silly.
- Apocrypha #1, Anarchy's Birth - They wanted to break her, they wanted to to turn her into a tool of their religious tyranny, they failed.
Violence shall begat violence.
Mature readers (18+) only.
- Cigarette Stories#2: Addicted to the Drama - Our story continues: What happened to Germ. Why can't Jerry remember anything? Who are "the guests" and why do they need an armed reception? Jeri and her friends make an appearance, too.
- Cosmic Samaritan #1, The - In the first of a four part story arc, enter Joshua Price. A conflicted teenager who struggles between his faith and the worldly temptations he must face. Soon, Joshua is chosen to wield supernatural power. A power he cannot yet fully comprehend. Will Joshua use his new abilities for the good of mankind or continue to lead his own path towards darkness?
Get ready for amazing superhero action and adventure as the premiere issue of THE COSMIC SAMARITAN takes flight!
- Entombed Issue #0 - Kyle Burden, dedicated Egyptologist and brilliant inventor, is betrayed by a trusted mentor and sealed in an Egyptian sarcophagus for an entire year!
After returning to the outside world, Kyle is overwhelmed by waves of crippling agoraphobia. Climbing into his greatest invention, Professor Burden himself becomes his most diabolical and twisted creation.