Comic Book News from Around the Web
What's happening on the Gravyboard?
- PREVIEW: AAM/Markosia presents "Lazarus: Immortal Coils" - AAM/Markosia, publishers of King Kong, Starship Troopers, Eleventh Hour and the critically acclaimed The Boy Who Made Silence, are proud to announce their new title Lazarus: Immortal Coils. A story 1,974 years in the making, Lazarus: Immortal Coils reveals the definitive origin of the eternal warrior.
- Bluewater Productions kicks it into "Gearz" - From the creator of the "10th Muse" comes the newest female group of unlikely heroes - Gearz!
- NY Comic Con announces full schedule of film and TV previews and screenings - The full schedule of movie trailers and special sneak peek previews which will be featured in the IGN.com Theater at New York Comic Con has been announced and includes special events for "The Incredible Hulk," "Hellboy 2," " The Spirit" and more.
- X-POSITION: X-Editors United - We're joined today by Axel Alonso and his team of X-editors to discuss "Divided We Stand" and premiere loads and loads of exclusive art including Simone Bianchi art from "Astonishing X-Men."
- "Mr. T Versus Dracula" announced from Mohawk Media - Having recently launched their Mr. T: Limited Advance Edition Graphic Novel, publisher Mohawk Media have decided to celebrate April Fools Day with the announcement of "Mr. T Versus," a series of comic magazines which see Mr. T doing battle with other famous characters. The first confirmed title is "Mr. T Versus Dracula."
- Scott Dunbier Named IDW Special Projects Editor - Starting today, former WildStorm Executive Editor Scott Dunbier joins IDW Publishing as Special Projects Editor. In this exclusive interview, CBR News spoke with the industry veteran about his plans.
- I AM "IRON MAN": Robert Downey, Jr. - In this first of a series of interviews with the cast and crew of "Iron Man," the new film based on the classic Marvel Comics superhero, CBR News speaks with Robert Downey, Jr., who plays the titular role.
- FIRST LOOK: "Hulk" #3 - Hulk gets hit with an A-bomb! Courtesy of Marvel, CBR brings you a first look at "Hulk" #3 by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness with a variant cover by David Finch.
- SECRETS OF "NIM'S": Directors talk New Family Adventure Film - Directors Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett talk to CBR News about their new film, Nims Island, and what its like to work with Jodie Foster, and why 300 star Gerard Butler is so good that they had to cast him twice.
- PREVIEW: Warren Ellis' "Anna Mercury" #1 - Courtesy of Avatar Press, CBR brings you an advance look at "Anna Mercury" #1 by Warren Ellis and Facundo Percio, on sale this week.
- Incredible Hulk, Smallville, Speed Racer: April 1st Comic Reel Wrap - There ain't no jokes as we present an exclusive new rumor about trouble for Dr. Banner, season eight talk in Kansas, fast paced news plus much more.
- Mayor of Portland declares April to be Portand Comics Month - The Stumptown Comics Foundation is delighted to announce that Mayor Tom Potter will declare this April Portland Comics Month. The proclamation officially recognizes both the cultural importance and creative influence of this vibrant art form on the entire city.
- PREVIEW: "X-Force" #3 continues the search for Wolfsbane - The red-hot, sold-out hottest X-launch of the year continues as Wolverines new team searches for the kidnapped Wolfsbane and continues their merciless attacks on Purifier bases till they find her!
- EARTH'S MOST WANTED: The Twos - Marvel editor Tom Brevoort helps CBR unveil The Twos in the Skrulls "Secret Invasion" poker deck, including a longtime Avenger, a veteran news man, and young members of the Kree and Skrull races.
- PREVIEW: "Evil Dead" #4 - Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR brings you an advance look at "Evil Dead" #4 by Mark Verheiden and John Bolton, on sale next week in finer comics stores everywhere.
- Where Have All the Heroes Gone? Krueger talks Project Superpowers - Co-writer Jim Krueger brings you up to speed on whats happened in the first issues of Dynamite's Project Superpowers, and drops a few hints about whats still to come.
- MYSPACING COMICS: Marvel Cries "Excelsior!" - Joe Quesada and Stan Lee are making noise on MySpace and so is Marvel Entertainment adding nearly 5,000 friends this month as the publisher prepares itself for a "Secret Invasion."
- Heroes Initiative to publish Mike Wieringo's final Marvel Comics work as a benefit book - When artist Mike Wieringo passed away, he was in the middle of his latest Marvel Comics book, a What If? story. Mike had completed seven pages of what became a massive 27-page story. With Mikes passing, Marvel Comics generously provided access to the script and Mikes art to The Hero Initiative, and Mikes friends stepped up to finish the story, and pay tribute to Mike.
- "Secret Invasion" shines its spotlight on Black Bolt and The Inhumans - Whether hes dead or missing, SECRET INVASION will make Black Bolts family truly Inhuman!
- "Sam & Lilah" jumps from Zuda Comics competition to ACT-I-VATE webcomic lineup - Fresh off a commanding fourth-place finish in Zuda Comics' March 2008 Competition, SAM & LILAH will be making a move to its new home as part of the online comics collective ACT-I-VATE, beginning with new pages on May 1.
Comic Book Movie
- New GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Promo Image Of Their Spacecraft -
Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Drax (Dave Batista), Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Rocket Racoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper), and Groot (motion-captured and voiced by Vin Diesel) will all be seen cruising around in Star-Lords sleek vessel, The Milano. Below, is a promotional image of the ship being used by hardtofindpartysupplies.com to sell napkins.
From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new team—the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvels “Guardians of the Galaxy” expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfits—Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot,
- THE WALKING DEAD The Grove Sneak Peeks Promo; Plus Making Of Alone -
Based on one of the most successful and popular comic books of all time, written by Robert Kirkman, AMC’s The Walking Dead captures the ongoing human drama following a zombie apocalypse. The series follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, played by Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back), who are traveling in search of a safe and secure home. However, instead of the zombies, it is the living who remain that truly become the walking dead. Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) plays Shane Walsh, Ricks sheriffs department partner before the apocalypse, and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), is Ricks wife, Lori Grimes. Additional cast include: Laurie Holden, Steven Yeun, Norman Reedus, Jeffrey DeMunn, Chandler Riggs, Iron E. Singleton and Melissa McBride. Guest stars include: Lauren Cohan, Scott Wilson and Pruitt Taylor Vince.
The Walking Dead stars: Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Laurie Holden, Jeffrey DeMunn, Scott
- 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE an In-Depth EF Review -
300: Rise of an Empire
General Information :
Opened: #1 3,470 Theaters
Current Box Office Numbers: $45,050,000 (as of 3/8/2014)
Rotten Tomatoes Aggregated So Far: 43% Critics 70% Audience Approval
Metacritic: 47% Metascore, 6.5 User Score
Editorial Background Biases:
I have a passion for visually stunning hyper-stylized war-porn. I’m not sure if this term has been referenced or coined. If not, I’m stating it for the masses. Especially when experiencing Zack Snyder’s work which has a certain signature for this type of film-making. I also have a passion for popcorn flicks, and adaptations of graphic novels. Walking into this movie, I knew I would have a general bias because of Snyder, and because it is a follow-up to the original 300 film which blew my mind then, and I suspected would blow my mind now.
That said, we have a natural expectation for visuals and special effects. We are a people so accustomed to heavy duty
- Third Full GAME OF THRONES Season 4 Trailer: Secrets -
In the wake of the Red Wedding, how does the North pick up the pieces and with their greatest enemy seemingly crushed, where does that leave the Lannisters. Daenerys Targaryen now has an army but is she ready to take back her homeland. Does Jon Snow turn south to seek revenge or remember his duty along the Wall?
Game Of Thrones returns for its fourth season on April 6.
- Michael Peña Vaguely Updates On ANT-MAN Casting -
Were [still] deciding though, suggested Michael Peña when Collider asked today whether hes officially signed on for Marvels Ant-Man. Ive been talking to Edgar [Wright] and I think that hes an amazing [director]... Hopefully things work out. The American Hustle actor is rumored to play the Ant-Man villain, an original character named Castillo who is supposedly appears at the beginning of the film and plays a larger role as the film develops. Anyhow, Ant-Man so far stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, and Patrick Wilson with Evangeline Lilly also in talks. Under the working title Big Foot, the film is scheduled to shoot in May and release on July 17, 2015.
- Spidey Leaps Into Action In New Image From THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 - Submit your #SpideySighting to Instagram for a chance to be featured in Times Square! http://t.co/KypQPrzA9f pic.twitter.com/w13QcHWIURmdash; Spider-Man (@SpiderManMovie) March 10, 2014
In The Amazing Spider-Man™ 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.
Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy
Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn
Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn
Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon/Electro
Sally Fields as Aunt May
RELEASE DATE: May 2nd, 2014.
- Grant Gustin as THE FLASH in Explosive Set Video Pictures -
As you can Barry was in one of those cars. It is probably after he gets out of the hospital or sometime later on.
Grant Gustina appearance as Barry Allen in Arrow seems to have gone down pretty well with most fans, but can he carry his own series? Well find out in the Fall. In the meantime we await some set snaps of that full Flash costume. The Flash also stars Tom Cavanagh, Jesse L. Martin, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Rick Cosnett, and John Wesley Shipp. The show is directed by David Nutter with a script from Geoff Johns.
- SPECULATION TIME! Is This Leaked Image Our First Look At Ben Affleck As BATMAN? -
What youre seeing above apparently came from Instagram before landing on the Superhero Hype Forums. It appears to be a photo of a photo, making it even harder to unearth whether or not its legit. Even if it is just fan-art (which, lets face it, is the most likely answer here), it does give us a pretty cool idea of what to expect when it comes to what Ben Affleck will look like as the Caped Crusader. However, if this really is a leaked image of Batfleck, its pretty damn awesome and the Jim Lee inspiration is clear! What do you guys think? Real of fake? Let us know below!
- SUNDAY TO SUNDAY - TRANSFORMERS 4 A Change Of Plans For THE AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON -
Check out the embedded video below for a comprehensive and light-hearted look at the week gone in movie news.
If you liked this, check out the official Comic Book Movie Podcast The Weekly Planet below, the latest episode of which looks Spider-man in The Avengers, Wonder Womans outfit in BVS and the new Star Wars villain. Subscribe to it on iTunes or download it directly here.
This Week In Trailers Clips.
300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Review
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Extended Clip
SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR Trailer
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Trailer
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Clips
- Evan Goldberg Explains His Vision For PREACHER - After several attempts to adapt Garth Ennis controversial comic series for the big screen, fans were delighted to hear that wed actually be getting an AMC tv show instead. A while back it was announced that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg would pen the script for the project, with Breaking Bads Sam Catlin on board as executive producer and showrunner. Now Goldberg speaks to Collider about how they plan to tackle the adaptation, assuring that while they intend to stick as closely to the source material as possible, a few things will have to be altered.
“We just had a meeting with AMC and Garth Ennis, who’s the writer, and we all kind of seemed to agree that we’re gonna stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we’re not gonna change much, I hope. We’re just gonna do a little
- Marvel Releasing Documentary About Mark Millars CIVIL WAR From Award Winning Filmmaker - At the South By Southwest Interactive festival in Austin, Texas today, Marvel announced plans for a new video series called Marvels Tales to Astonish, a series of 13 minute documentaries about some of their most famous stories. The first will focus on Mark Millar and Steve McNivens Civil War, and it will be helmed by Eric Drath, a filmmaker who won an Emmy for the 2008 HBO boxing documentary Assault in the Ring. To him, [Civil War] was interesting, because you had two of Marvels most major characters squaring off against each other, John Cerilli, Marvels vice president of digital content and programming said. All of us who grew up reading comic books, especially Marvel, we all know that our heroes beat the crap out of each other. But this was interesting to him, and one of the things that led him into this. We started telling him more about the
- BOX OFFICE: 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE Conquers Competition At Home And Overseas - 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE conquered the box office this weekend w/ $45M, $6.8M from IMAX.mdash; Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) March 9, 2014
300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE battle sheet: CinemaScore- B, Males- 62%, 3D Market Share- 63%mdash; Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) March 9, 2014
300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE dominated overseas w/ $87.8M (+10% vs. 300). RUS ($9.2M) FRA ($7.2M) KOR ($6.5M) BRZ ($5.8M) MEX ($5.5M)mdash; Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) March 9, 2014
Top BO: #1 300: ROAE ($45M) #2 MR. PEABODY amp; SHERMAN ($30M) #3 NON-STOP ($15.3M) #4 LEGO ($11M) #5 SON OF GOD ($9.5M)mdash; Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) March 9, 2014
So, it looks like 300: Rise of an Empire will be a commercial hit, but with a 43% score on Rotten Tomatoes (where its described as an empty exercise in stylish gore and a step down from its predecessor), it doesnt seem unfair to say that this isnt exactly a slam dunk for Warner Bros.!
- BATMAN VS SUPERMAN Filming Underway In Michigan -
Shooting on Zach Snyders Batman vs Superman is underway! Residents of Michigans Metamora township have confirmed that filming is currently taking place on the Caley road area. Its not known if any of the major cast are present for the filming.
Residents revealed that construction has been underway since February with security crews being a constant part of the towns life. Letters were sent to locals informing them of the work in the area.
Thanks to CBMs Brainiac3000 for the source! What do you think Snyder and co. are doing in Michigan? Are they preparing for some early promo footage? Sign off your thoughts below!
Snyder will direct the film from a screenplay being written by Chris Terrio from a screenplay by David S. Goyer and a story co-created by Goyer and Snyder. Zack Snyder’s Superman/Batman film stars Henry Cavill, reprising his role as Superman/Clark Kent, and Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film
- Jai Courtney Comments On Joining The Cast Of TERMINATOR: GENESIS As Kyle Reese -
In a recent interview with IGN Movies to promote Divergent, Australian actor Jai Courtney was asked to share his thoughts on joining the cast of Alan Taylors Terminator: Genesis. Ive always had a bit of skepticism about something being rebooted. I remember when [A Good Day to] Die Hard came around a few years ago, I was like, Really? Theyre gonna make another one? and then I found myself in it and totally invested in it. I think its healthy to have that [skepticism] because you want it to be something [special], you want to keep that eye for quality sharp. As for why he then decided to sign up for the movie which will apparently take place in a variety of periods, he added: But when I read this, I was pretty into it and the storys cool. Its attached a great cast as well. I think Emilia Clarkes wonderful
- New GAME OF THRONES Vine Teasers; New Trailer Tonight Before TRUE DETECTIVE -
In the wake of the Red Wedding, how does the North pick up the pieces and with their greatest enemy seemingly crushed, where does that leave the Lannisters. Daenerys Targaryen now has an army but is she ready to take back her homeland. Does Jon Snow turn south to seek revenge or remember his duty along the Wall?
Game Of Thrones returns for its fourth season on April 6.
- AMC Theatres Announce Plans For CAPTAIN AMERICA Double Feature Next Month -
AMC Theatres® (AMC) is inviting guests to catch up on the story of Steve Rogers and Captain America with Marvel’s Captain America Double Feature in RealD 3D at 158 AMC locations nationwide on Thursday, April 3. The event, which begins at 5:30 p.m. with 2011’s MARVEL’S CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, concludes with the 8 p.m. release of MARVEL’S CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER.
Tickets for Marvel’s Captain America Double Feature at AMC are on sale now online and at participating locations. Fans attending the event will receive a limited edition lanyard and a full size movie poster at participating locations while supplies last.
Tickets for MARVEL’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER in IMAX 3D, RealD 3D and digital formats, are also on sale now. The movie opens nationwide at 8 p.m. Thursday, April 3.
Will you guys track down one of these screenings? While its likely that the majority of fans already own
- AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.: Concept Art Of Elena Satine As Lorelei In Her Asgardian Garb - When Coulson and his team are attacked by Lorelei-a deadly seductress who escaped from Asgard-Thor’s Lady Sif, her longtime nemesis, steps in to try to save them.
Lorelei looks hypnotizing in her Asgardian garb, courtesy of Marvel’s #AgentsofSHIELD costume designer @afoley24! pic.twitter.com/3RZmkcSKQFmdash; Agents of SHIELD (@AgentsofSHIELD) March 8, 2014
Written by Shalisha Francis and directed by John Terlesky, Yes Men will air on ABC on Tuesday, March 11th. Are you looking forward to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. getting an Asgardian influence?
- New Illustrated Posters For CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Spotted -
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” finds Steve Rogers, a.k.a. Captain America, living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.
Chris Evans as Captain America
Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
Sebastian Stan as The Winter Soldier
Anthony Mackie as Falcon
Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill
- COMICS: Unlettered Preview Of Warren Ellis And Declan Shalveys MOON KNIGHT #2 - • The best new comic of 2014 continues with a story that has to be experienced to be believed!
MOON KNIGHT #2
Written by WARREN ELLIS
Pencils Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
- COSPLAY: Lyndsey Elaine As Bane From THE DARK KNIGHT RISES -
Cosplayer: Lyndsey Elaine
Photographer: Lyon Hart Photography
Photographer: Isidro Urena
Photographer: Hung Ngo
Photographer: Mineralblu Photography
It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile. But even if he dons the cape and cowl again, Batman may be no match for Bane.
The Dark Knight Rises was directed by Christopher Nolan, from a screenplay written by Christopher
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Mismatched tag at line 101, column 8) in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/index.php on line 157
About Comic Books
- Top Comic Book Sidekicks -
Each comic book has its superstar, the main character, the top dog that stands tall over the rest of the characters as its primary focus. These characters like Captain America, Batman, and Green Arrow are the main thing that drives the storylines along. These heroes are the ones in the spotlight and take on the heavy lifting, but they are often not alone. The sidekick was created to accompany these heroes and provide an added layer of complexity to their already full lives. Check out more in this list of Top Comic Book Sidekicks.
Image Copyright Marvelp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Top Comic Book Sidekicks/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:23:30./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm&zItl=Top Comic Book Sidekicks"Email this/a/p
- Action Lab Comics and Reviews -
It is always interesting to see the kinds of comic books that come out from the smaller publishers. While I would say the top and more memorable characters are still in The Big Two, it is these small press companies that I think are coming out with the better stories as a whole. I am very enamored with the creator owned concept and love to see that singular voice coming through a project.
Action Lab Comics is that kind of small comic book publisher. They hit it big with their highly acclaimed series Princeless and have many other comic books in their stable. One such recent acquisition is Skyward, by Jeremy Dale. I got a chance to review the first in the series as they are relaunching the once self-published comic book. Take a look at my review and see what memories it drug up for this long time fantasy fan.
I also got a chance to review the Adventure Time Annual #1. It was a pretty cool read with some interesting takes on the Adventure Time universe.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Action Lab Comics and Reviews/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:21:19./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm&zItl=Action Lab Comics and Reviews"Email this/a/p
- Hound Comics -
Whenever I get the chance to attend a comic book convention, I'm always on the lookout for talent and things that are new to the comic book industry. New publishers, creators, companies, you name it, I love seeing new stuff. When I went to Wizard World: Portland, I ran into a group of guys from Hound Comics, a young comic book publisher that had a lot of different products and some interesting characters to boot. I spoke with CEO and ex professional wrestler Brimstone for a bit and took home some items from their booth.
Hound Comics is the sort of place a lot of independent publishers should take note of as they embody the spirit of the entrepreneur like none I've seen recently. Not only do they have a line of comics based off of his wrestling persona, but also a other creator owned comic books, a food line, apparel, and a slate of other products. I got the chance to interview Hound Comics and got some insight into the mind behind the publishing company and was excited to peek behind the veil and see how things tick at Hound Comics. Check out the interview with Brimstone, CEO of Hound Entertainment Group.
Image Copyright Hound Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Hound Comics/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:39:38./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm&zItl=Hound Comics"Email this/a/p
- New Image Titles -
It would seem a lot of creators are turning to Image Comics to get their visions out into the hands of comic book fans. I have seen a bevy of high profile creator owned series coming out of Image and it is really great to see. Joe's Comics has restarted and their first comic book out is Ten Grand, written by Straczynski himself and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. The duo really hit the mark for me and I thoroughly enjoyed what looks to be the first in a good slate of comic books coming out of this new Image imprint. Another comic I got a chance to sink my teeth into was Chin Music by Steve Niles and Tony Harris. It was very interesting to see two comic books combining the whole occult/crime thing and the two took very divergent paths. I enjoyed them both and look forward to the comic books Image will be putting out.
Image Copyright Image Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"New Image Titles/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:05:46./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm&zItl=New Image Titles"Email this/a/p
- Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation -
Did you know that the website Kickstarter.com is the second largest graphic novel publisher in the U.S. according to Publishers Weekly? It beats out DC in terms of revenue off of these graphic novels and is only just behind Marvel. The term "publisher" is a bit loose here in that the company isn't directly responsible for the final product, but the proof that so many comics are created now through Kickstarter is astounding and awesome!
I've been able to talk to a couple of creators about the Kickstarting process in The Only Living Boy and Rumpus on the Run and the whole concept is exhilarating to think about the avenues that are open for creators to make comic books nowadays. Apparently the process isn't that new as according to Kickstarter, even the likes of Beethoven used a form of crowdsourcing to fund his works. Check out if Kickstarter is right for you and how you can take advantage of this great new concept.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 31st, 2013 at 20:03:32./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm&zItl=Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation"Email this/a/p
- Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run -
Kickstarter is such an interesting new avenue for creators. With the right idea, pitch, and networking you can fund just about anything. Order Of The Stick funded a republishing drive and raised over 1.5 million dollars. Penny Arcade raised funds to remove advertising from their website and received over 500 thousand dollars. Now most campaigns are much smaller and won't bring in this kind of money, but for a small press comic book, not a lot can be needed. I got a chance to sit with a creator that has been on the Kickstarting ride with his latest endeavor Rumpus On The Run and right now his project is funded for the softcover version of the book, but Jess Smart Smiley also has dreams to bring his book to hardcover status. There is just a few days to go so be sure to head over this his Kickstarter Campaign first, then over the interview I did with Smiley about the process, his latest work, and kicsktarting comics.
Image Copyright Jess Smart Smileyp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 24th, 2013 at 23:40:16./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm&zItl=Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run"Email this/a/p
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review -
I was really glad I got the chance to go to the Wizard World Portland Comic Con. It was the first time the con was conducted in Stumptown, my hometown of Portland, Oregon. That's Or-e-gun all smoothed together in one go and not Or-ee-gone as out of towners like to say. Although there were some things I found concerning, overall it was a smashing success that this town truly embraced. Take a look at a review of Wizard World Portland to see what was great and what could use some work on for next year. If you are interested in going next year, and I would recommend it, Wizard is doing a special promotion that will work until Monday Feb 25th at Noon. Use the code Portland2013 to get a special discount on next year's entrance to Wizard World Portland Comic Con.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, February 24th, 2013 at 23:26:10./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm&zItl=Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review"Email this/a/p
- First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con -
The Wizard World Portland Comic Con was in full effect today in Portland, Oregon and the convention floor was hopping with fans, creators, and celebrities. It is odd that this hasn't happened sooner as Portland is actually one of the largest comics town in the USA. Many creators such as Bendis and Busiek make their home in this area and there are many publishers like Dark Horse, Top Shelf, and Oni here as well. Don't forget that the statue company Bowen Designs resides were to!. This is a great place for comic books and has a great indy convention in the Stumptown Comics Fest, but Wizard World is going for a large scale feel and I think they have a good start. It was interesting that there was a lack of publishers showcasing here and it might be that the Emerald City Comic Con is next weekend in Seattle, WA. Either way I had a good time and met some new people. More to come.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 01:02:09./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm&zItl=First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con"Email this/a/p
- Heading to Wizard World Portland -
Well it looks like I will be able to attend Wizard World Portland this year and will be heading down for a couple of days of fun at the Oregon Convention Center. I am curious to see what happens as there is something of a duel happening in Portland between Wizard World and Rose City Comic-Con. Wizard World has had something of a bad rap at times and Rose City is partnering with Emerald City Comic Con to partner in running their convention. I hope to see how they handle Portland and if the convention can be the kind of convention this city could use. I will report back with my findings and see just what it has in store.
Image Copyright Wizard Worldp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Heading to Wizard World Portland/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 00:41:14./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm&zItl=Heading to Wizard World Portland"Email this/a/p
- Superheroes For Hospice Interview -
Comic book charities are a very cool thing in my mind as they merge something that we love with a good cause. There are many great comic book charities out there right now and one of them is Superheroes for Hospice. This event is a mini-convention where fans can come and get comic books on the cheap. All the profits go to the hospice and help those in need in the New Jersey area. This gives comic collectors another way to get rid of unwanted comic books as the donations they use to stock the event are tax deductible. I got a chance to interview the man behind the curtains, Spiro Ballas, who gave me the skinny on what the hospice does and how you can help others through comic books.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Superheroes For Hospice Interview/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 00:05:11./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm&zItl=Superheroes For Hospice Interview"Email this/a/p
Comic Book Conventions.com
Comic Book News from
- Amp - Take one arrogant 19 year old, give him as many superpowers as the military can afford and stand back. Responsibility? Out of the window. Heroics? No, sir. Amp just wants to be loved, well adored really, perhaps even worshipped if he can just get his own chat show!
However, the military has other ideas.
- Bonds of Blood (Volume 1) - The first seven issues of Bonds of Blood all together in one nifty trade paperback!
- Justice - After witnessing his wife's rapist avoid a prison sentence, Alan vows to bring the rapist to justice. In a world where superheroes dictate right and wrong, Alan dons a mask and cape to track the villain down.
However, he soon learns that there's a lot more to being a superhero than an extravagant costume and a butch name...
- Kincaid #1 - Kincaid #1 introduces us to the story of Elvis Kincaid, a heroin addicted punk rock musician, who finds himself thrown into a world of global conspiracy, political intrigue and super powered individuals. Far from normal super hero fare, Kincaid is a gritty title showing the darker side of life.
As much as it focuses on the underbelly of the world, Kincaid is also a tale of one man's self-becoming and personal empowerment, creating a rich and original comic book experience.
- Legend of The Winged Tiger - Full color version of Phil Yeh's bestselling Winged Tiger #1 comic.
This new version features Lieve Jerger's brilliant coloring and a brand new cover.
- Tugger / Burnt Out Comix Flipbook - Murphy Beach Studio presents a 2-fer flipbook with 2 stories, 2 covers & only 1 price!
Cousin Joey is back and featured in the silly, surreal, underground of Tugger Comix and Burnt Out Comix where the world is a pressure cooker but there are ways to getting out of it. Weird. Funny. Silly.
- Apocrypha #1, Anarchy's Birth - They wanted to break her, they wanted to to turn her into a tool of their religious tyranny, they failed.
Violence shall begat violence.
Mature readers (18+) only.
- Cigarette Stories#2: Addicted to the Drama - Our story continues: What happened to Germ. Why can't Jerry remember anything? Who are "the guests" and why do they need an armed reception? Jeri and her friends make an appearance, too.
- Cosmic Samaritan #1, The - In the first of a four part story arc, enter Joshua Price. A conflicted teenager who struggles between his faith and the worldly temptations he must face. Soon, Joshua is chosen to wield supernatural power. A power he cannot yet fully comprehend. Will Joshua use his new abilities for the good of mankind or continue to lead his own path towards darkness?
Get ready for amazing superhero action and adventure as the premiere issue of THE COSMIC SAMARITAN takes flight!
- Entombed Issue #0 - Kyle Burden, dedicated Egyptologist and brilliant inventor, is betrayed by a trusted mentor and sealed in an Egyptian sarcophagus for an entire year!
After returning to the outside world, Kyle is overwhelmed by waves of crippling agoraphobia. Climbing into his greatest invention, Professor Burden himself becomes his most diabolical and twisted creation.