Comic Book News from Around the Web
What's happening on the Gravyboard?
- PREVIEW: AAM/Markosia presents "Lazarus: Immortal Coils" - AAM/Markosia, publishers of King Kong, Starship Troopers, Eleventh Hour and the critically acclaimed The Boy Who Made Silence, are proud to announce their new title Lazarus: Immortal Coils. A story 1,974 years in the making, Lazarus: Immortal Coils reveals the definitive origin of the eternal warrior.
- Bluewater Productions kicks it into "Gearz" - From the creator of the "10th Muse" comes the newest female group of unlikely heroes - Gearz!
- NY Comic Con announces full schedule of film and TV previews and screenings - The full schedule of movie trailers and special sneak peek previews which will be featured in the IGN.com Theater at New York Comic Con has been announced and includes special events for "The Incredible Hulk," "Hellboy 2," " The Spirit" and more.
- X-POSITION: X-Editors United - We're joined today by Axel Alonso and his team of X-editors to discuss "Divided We Stand" and premiere loads and loads of exclusive art including Simone Bianchi art from "Astonishing X-Men."
- "Mr. T Versus Dracula" announced from Mohawk Media - Having recently launched their Mr. T: Limited Advance Edition Graphic Novel, publisher Mohawk Media have decided to celebrate April Fools Day with the announcement of "Mr. T Versus," a series of comic magazines which see Mr. T doing battle with other famous characters. The first confirmed title is "Mr. T Versus Dracula."
- Scott Dunbier Named IDW Special Projects Editor - Starting today, former WildStorm Executive Editor Scott Dunbier joins IDW Publishing as Special Projects Editor. In this exclusive interview, CBR News spoke with the industry veteran about his plans.
- I AM "IRON MAN": Robert Downey, Jr. - In this first of a series of interviews with the cast and crew of "Iron Man," the new film based on the classic Marvel Comics superhero, CBR News speaks with Robert Downey, Jr., who plays the titular role.
- FIRST LOOK: "Hulk" #3 - Hulk gets hit with an A-bomb! Courtesy of Marvel, CBR brings you a first look at "Hulk" #3 by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness with a variant cover by David Finch.
- SECRETS OF "NIM'S": Directors talk New Family Adventure Film - Directors Mark Levin and Jennifer Flackett talk to CBR News about their new film, Nims Island, and what its like to work with Jodie Foster, and why 300 star Gerard Butler is so good that they had to cast him twice.
- PREVIEW: Warren Ellis' "Anna Mercury" #1 - Courtesy of Avatar Press, CBR brings you an advance look at "Anna Mercury" #1 by Warren Ellis and Facundo Percio, on sale this week.
- Incredible Hulk, Smallville, Speed Racer: April 1st Comic Reel Wrap - There ain't no jokes as we present an exclusive new rumor about trouble for Dr. Banner, season eight talk in Kansas, fast paced news plus much more.
- Mayor of Portland declares April to be Portand Comics Month - The Stumptown Comics Foundation is delighted to announce that Mayor Tom Potter will declare this April Portland Comics Month. The proclamation officially recognizes both the cultural importance and creative influence of this vibrant art form on the entire city.
- PREVIEW: "X-Force" #3 continues the search for Wolfsbane - The red-hot, sold-out hottest X-launch of the year continues as Wolverines new team searches for the kidnapped Wolfsbane and continues their merciless attacks on Purifier bases till they find her!
- EARTH'S MOST WANTED: The Twos - Marvel editor Tom Brevoort helps CBR unveil The Twos in the Skrulls "Secret Invasion" poker deck, including a longtime Avenger, a veteran news man, and young members of the Kree and Skrull races.
- PREVIEW: "Evil Dead" #4 - Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR brings you an advance look at "Evil Dead" #4 by Mark Verheiden and John Bolton, on sale next week in finer comics stores everywhere.
- Where Have All the Heroes Gone? Krueger talks Project Superpowers - Co-writer Jim Krueger brings you up to speed on whats happened in the first issues of Dynamite's Project Superpowers, and drops a few hints about whats still to come.
- MYSPACING COMICS: Marvel Cries "Excelsior!" - Joe Quesada and Stan Lee are making noise on MySpace and so is Marvel Entertainment adding nearly 5,000 friends this month as the publisher prepares itself for a "Secret Invasion."
- Heroes Initiative to publish Mike Wieringo's final Marvel Comics work as a benefit book - When artist Mike Wieringo passed away, he was in the middle of his latest Marvel Comics book, a What If? story. Mike had completed seven pages of what became a massive 27-page story. With Mikes passing, Marvel Comics generously provided access to the script and Mikes art to The Hero Initiative, and Mikes friends stepped up to finish the story, and pay tribute to Mike.
- "Secret Invasion" shines its spotlight on Black Bolt and The Inhumans - Whether hes dead or missing, SECRET INVASION will make Black Bolts family truly Inhuman!
- "Sam & Lilah" jumps from Zuda Comics competition to ACT-I-VATE webcomic lineup - Fresh off a commanding fourth-place finish in Zuda Comics' March 2008 Competition, SAM & LILAH will be making a move to its new home as part of the online comics collective ACT-I-VATE, beginning with new pages on May 1.
Comic Book Movie
- Ben Edlund Confirms Plans For THE TICK Revival; Update On Patrick Warburtons Involvement -
Late last week, it was revealed that there were plans in place to bring back The Tick on Amazon#39;s online streaming service. The original series aired for only 9 episodes back in 2001, but has since picked up something of a cult following. The original source wasn#39;t the most reliable but nownbsp;The Wrapnbsp;have weighed in confirming that Patrick Warburton, quot;is set to reprise his role as quot;The Tickquot; in an Amazon pilot,quot; adding: quot;Warburton worked out a deal with Sony Television, who have held the rights since the show#39;s 2001 cancellation, to bring back the beloved character as an Amazon pilot.quot;nbsp;Meanwhile, creator Ben Edlund would also semi confirm the news via his Twitter account as you can see below!nbsp;You can read the original report - and even watch the 2001 pilot episode of The Tick - by clicking here. Are you guys looking forward to The Tick returning?
Yes for now suffice
- International Trailer For DRACULA UNTOLD Features Plenty Of New Footage To Sink Your Fangs Into -
Like a lot of iconic movie monsters, Dracula has had a rough time of it over recent years, with one of his most recent live-action adaptations ndash; the NBC television series which starred Jonathan Rhys Meyers ndash; lasting only a single season before being cancelled due to low ratings and a tepid critical response. Perhaps then itrsquo;s for the best that Dracula Untold is taking the vampire back to basics as it strives to deliver a very different take on his early years. In this movie, the focus will be on Vlad Tepes (Luke Evans) as he strikes a deal a deal with dark forces in order to protect his family and protect his homeland. Be sure to share your thoughts on the new trailer below!
Luke Evans (Fast amp; Furious 6, Immortals) stars in Dracula Untold, the origin story of the man who became Dracula. Gary Shore directs and Michael De
- FAN MADE: Tom Hiddlestons Marvel Movie Footage Combined For LOKI: BROTHER OF THOR - This might just be the closest we ever get to a solo Loki movie. Even if you don#39;t have 2 hours to spare to sit through the whole thing, it#39;s well worth skimming. The clips are not always assembled in a way that forms a cohesive narrative, but even still it#39;s all of Tom Hiddleston#39;s Loki scenes (deleted ones too) gathered together in one vid, and that alone makes it pretty damn awesome.
My goal was to chronicle the character development of Loki into a single narrative. You#39;ll notice I took out a lot fluff and even some beloved fight scenes, only because I was trying to focus the film on Loki and his relationships. I also inserted all of the relevant deleted scenes (you#39;ll notice that they haven#39;t been fully rendered and mixed), several of which add great depth to his story and family dynamics. A big challenge was bridging the
- DAREDEVIL: Vincent D’Onofrio Finds Inspiration In Frank Millers Kingpin -
Marvel#39;s Daredevil television series, which will appear on Netflix, is currently filming in New York. It will be the first of many shows that Marvel and Netflix are teaming up. Anticipation is high. One of the most intriguing bits is Vincent Drsquo;Onofrio#39;s return to the small screen. Many fans recognize the veteran actor from his numerous film roles, but he also made his mark on television as one of the two leads innbsp; Law amp; Order: Criminal Intent. In Daredevil, D#39;Onofrio will be playing Wilson Fisk, aka The Kingpin. His character is described as quot;a powerful businessman whose interests in the future of Hellrsquo;s Kitchen will bring him into conflict with the blind attorney Matt Murdock and his alter ego Daredevil.quot;
Now that I have you in a good mood, letrsquo;s talk about Daredevil.
Filming has been great. I canrsquo;t really talk about specifics. Really. But I can tell you itrsquo;s all working.
- James Gunn Says Ms. Marvel Wont Join The GUARDIANS; Reveals Stan Lees Original Cameo -
Collider have a lengthy recap of James and Sean Gunn#39;s recent appearance at Dragon Con in Atlanta, and plenty of great new reveals about Guardians of the Galaxy were revealed in the process. Perhaps the best one is what the writer and director originally had planned for Stan Lee#39;s cameo, something he describes as a battle he lost with Disney (something which surprised Gunn after he managed to get them to leave in the line referencing Jackson Pollock).nbsp;
The original plan was for Lee to be one of the Collector#39;s exhibit (where he would have joined a Dark Elf from Thor: The Dark World, Cosmo, and Howard the Duck to name just a few), and the scene would have featured Groot looking at the legendary comic creation in shock only for him to get the middle finger from the man responsible for breathing life into the likes of Spider-Man and the Fanastic
- FEATURE: Marvel Cinematic Universe, What I, Just Me, Not You...Want for it the Cosmic Universes Future! -
I have a vision of the future for the MCU, one that sometimes is in-line with what the studio is doing and other times more fanciful and idealistic. Usually on the level of fanatical. However, with the past pieces I#39;ve written, for Batman, Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. I wanted to put a piece together with some of my thoughts toward what I really think would make the MCU and the Marvel Cosmic Universe that much more special.nbsp;
Some of these ideas are a bit of a stretch while others seem to be extremely sensible if not absolutely necessary. Either way, I hope you enjoy the read.nbsp;
Happy Labor Day
8. Introduce the Kree, Shi#39;ar and the Skulls
All we got in Guardians of the Galaxy nbsp;was a fanatical maniac in Ronan the Accuser, not an actual full on introduction to the Kree, even if we got to see a
- 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY To Be Followed Up By A Movie? Apparently So, Damn It! -
24: Live Another Day ended on something of a cliffhanger, and while the 12-part season itself was a return to form for the beloved series, wrapping things up the way they did resulted in a closing scene as unsatisfying as that of season eight. Fans of 24 spent years wondering when and if they would get a proper resolution to Jack Bauer#39;s story, and while this latest run of episodes did go some way in providing that, it was obvious by the time the credits rolled that there#39;s still another chapter to tell in the life of the former CTU Agent. TV Linenbsp;now reports thatnbsp;the success of 24: Live Another Day has resulted in renewed talks of a movie featuring Jack Buaer. According to their sources, quot;Imagine Entertainment mdash; perhaps buoyed by the positive buzz generated by Foxrsquo;s 24: Live Another Day revival mdash; is kicking around a new feature idea.
- Dave Bautista On Deleted GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Scene -
From Marvel, the studio that brought you the global blockbuster franchises of Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers, comes a new teammdash;the Guardians of the Galaxy. An action-packed, epic space adventure, Marvel#39;s ldquo;Guardians of the Galaxyrdquo; expands the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the cosmos, where brash adventurer Peter Quill finds himself the object of an unrelenting bounty hunt after stealing a mysterious orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain with ambitions that threaten the entire universe. To evade the ever-persistent Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a quartet of disparate misfitsmdash;Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon, Groot, a tree-like humanoid, the deadly and enigmatic Gamora and the revenge-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must do his best to rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate standmdash;with the galaxy#39;s fate in
- Teaser Promo Pics For DOCTOR WHO Ep 8.03: Robot Of Sherwood -
In a sun-dappled Sherwood forest, the Doctor discovers an evil plan from beyond the stars and strikes up an unlikely alliance with Robin Hood. With all of Nottingham at stake, the Doctor must decide who is real and who is fake. Can impossible heroes really exist?
- A Familiar Face From GAME OF THRONES Joins STAR WARS EPISODE VII Cast -
Miltos Yerolemou had a memorable role in the first season of Game of Thrones as Arya Stark#39;s mentor, and now BBC News reports that the actor has joined the cast of Star Wars Episode VII. He taught Arya how to properly wield a blade and is in fact an accomplished swordsman away from Westeros as well, so it would be a huge surprise if those skills aren#39;t put to good use in the J.J. Abrams helmed follow-up to Return of the Jedi. However, the site cautions that his role won#39;t be a major one (though that doesn#39;t necessarily mean we won#39;t see him using a lightsaber at some point...). He of course joins fellow Game of Thrones starnbsp;Gwendoline Christie, and just because his role in this instalment is a small one, there#39;s also nothing to say that he won#39;t return for a bigger part in Rian Johnson#39;s Star Wars Episode IX.
- Russo Brothers On Hawkeyes Scrapped Role In CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER -
After Jeremy Renner dropped some hints about a role for Hawkeye in Captain America 3, there#39;s been a lot of talk about the fan-favourite archer finally getting the big screen treatment he deserves, with many wishing we#39;d seen him in Captain America: The Winter Soldier as was the plan at one point early on in production. In a recent interview with Superhero Hype, co-director Joe Russo had this to say about how Clint Barton#39;s inclusion in the critically acclaimed sequel would have changed things. quot;We had great stuff for him actually in the film,quot; he revealed without getting into specifics.nbsp;quot;He had a couple of really cool scenes in the movie. Itrsquo;s a big movie as it is, so it certainly helped that itrsquo;s not in there. I think it would increase the running time by about 10 or 15 minutes if they were in the movie, just because you want the
- Stephen Amell On ARROW Season 3, A SUICIDE SQUAD Spinoff And More -
At FanExpo Canada 2014, Arrow star Stephen Amell touched on a number of season three topics and superhero tv shows in general.nbsp; Touching on ABC and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.#39;s relationship with Agent Carter, Amell stated, quot;I would love instead of doing 23 episodes or Arrow, I would love to do like seventeen and in the middle of the year we can do six episodes of the Suicide Squad.rdquo;nbsp; Amell goes on touch on Ray Palmer, Grant Gustin#39;s Flash and more.nbsp; Watch the video above to see and hear everything that Amell shared with fans in the audience.nbsp;
Running Time: 60 min
Release Date: (Season Three) October 8th, 2014
MPAA Rating: Tv-14
Starring: Katie Cassidy, Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Byron Mann, Colin Donnell (?), Colin Salmon, Paul Blackthorne, Emily Bett Rickards, John Barrowman, Roger R. Cross and Willa Holland, Colton Haynes
Creators: Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg
Characters: George Papp (character) and Mort Weisinger (character)
quot;After a violent
- New GHOST IN THE SHELL Poster Marks Its 25th Anniversary Re-Release - While we await the live-action version which is (apparently) in the works with Snow White And The Huntsman director Rupert Sanders at the helm, we can make do with the 25th anniversary re-release of Mamoru Oshii#39;s Ghost In The Shell; which will return to theatres on Sep 27th, followed a week later by its sequel. Empire have debuted a new one-sheet for the movie, which you can see below.
The original Ghost In The Shell Manga was written by Masamune Shirow, and the subsequent film adaptation is up there with Akira as a benchmark Anime on which all that followed would be judged against. The story follows a member of an agency known as Section 9 named Motoko Kusanagi, as she searches for a mysterious hacker known as the Puppet Master. The live action film will be produced by Avi Arad, and Steven Paul.
- Top 5 Underrated Comic Book Movies -
Check out the embedded video below for a look at the five comic book movies that perhaps don#39;t get the recognition they deserve from movie goers. Be sure to share your thoughts in the comments below subscribe to Mr Sunday#39;s new channel atnbsp;youtube.com/mrsundaymovies. If you want. No pressure.
If you liked this, check out the official Comic Book Movie Podcastnbsp;The Weekly Planetnbsp;below, the latest episode of which looks at some truly bizarre cancelled comic book movies. Subscribe to it onnbsp;iTunesnbsp;or download it directlynbsp;here.
- E-i-C Axel Alonso Explains Why Marvel Comics Arent Promoting BIG HERO 6 -
Marvel Comics have developed something of a reputation over recent years of doing all they can to fall in line with the Marvel Studios movies, whether it#39;s changing a character#39;s personality and costume or even going to great lengths to introduce those featured on the big screen (for an example of that, look no further than the convoluted story used to introduce an African American Nick Fury into the 616 Marvel Universe). Of course, it#39;s something they#39;ve done right back to when Peter Parker was given organic web-shooters following the release of Sam Raimi#39;s Spider-Man, so why it hasn#39;t happened for Big Hero 6 seems baffling to say the least, as many have pointed out.nbsp;
Talking to Comic Book Resources recently, Marvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso confirmed that quot;There are no plans,quot; for any of the Big Hero 6 characters, adding: quot;The characters and stories that have appeared in our comics are
- COMICS: Frank Castle Is Back Behind Bars In First Look At THE PUNISHER #10 -
bull; THE PUNISHER gets incarcerated in a South American prison! Surely hersquo;ll be a model inmate.
bull; With Frank locked up, who is cleaning up the streets of Los Angeles?
bull; L.A. has a new crime lord with a personal vendetta against Frank Castle mdash; and with The Punisher gone, itrsquo;s open season on the police in LA.
THE PUNISHER #10
Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON
Pencils amp; Cover by MITCH GERADS
- EDITORIAL: Plot Analysis: Secret Wars -
Hey everybody and cheers for taking the time out of your busy schedules to take a look at this editorial. You may remember one I did before regarding Infinity Crusade, well this is essentially the same drill. This time however, I#39;ll be taking a more in-depth and comprehensive look at the infamous Secret Wars story arc. I#39;ll be looking at the themes the arc dealt with and any messages the writer may have been trying to convey to us, the readers. So, without further ado, let#39;s get this bad boy rollin#39;!
If you#39;ve read the arc, you can skip past this bit, however if you haven#39;t read it, SPOILER ALERT!
The story begins in space with both heroes and villains suspended in separate floating vessels. Amongst the heroes are the Avengers, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Magneto. Amongst the villains are Galactus, Dr. Doom, Ultron, Kang the Conquorer, Doc Ock,
- New STAR WARS REBEL Clip With Ezra Messing With A TIE Fighter Pilot -
The Jedi have been wiped out and the Empire spreads tyranny through the galaxy. Hope runs thin. But on the small planet of Lothal a big change is looming. A group of rebels meet a 14-year-old con artist named Ezra and soon it#39;s clear their destinies are linked. Aboard their ship, the Ghost, Ezra and the rebels embark on an adventure to ignite a rebellion and strike back against the Empire.
Voice Cast: Freddie Prinze Jr., Taylor Gray, Steve Blum, Tiya Sircar, Vanessa Marshall, Jason Isaacs, David Oyelowo and Billy Dee Williams.
- Another New BIG HERO 6 TV Spot Once Again Zeroes In On Baymax -
With all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, ldquo;Big Hero 6rdquo; is an action-packed comedy-adventure about robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, whorsquo;s catapulted into the midst of a dangerous plot and must transform his closest companionmdash;a robot named Baymaxmdash;and a diverse group of friends into a band of high-tech heroes.
The voice cast ofnbsp;Big Hero 6nbsp;includes T.J. Miller, Maya Rudolph, and Jamie Chung, and the movie is currently set to be released in North America in 3D on November 7th, 2014.
- Stan The Man Lee Shares Thoughts On Possibility Of A BLACK WIDOW Movie -
Stan Lee is a legend, but he has no role in what Marvel Studios does with their movies and you have to believe that his knowledge of what they have planned is limited. Of course, that doesn#39;t mean heaing from him isn#39;t still very interesting, and it should come as no surprise to learn that Lee was quizzed about the possibility of a movie for Scarlett Johansson#39;s Black Widow during an appearance at Fan Expo Canada this past Friday. After her appearance in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the box office success of Lucy, the demand for the character to get her own spin-off is at an all-time high, and quot;The Manquot; had this to say when asked for his thoughts on the matter. quot;We havenrsquo;t made a Black Widow movie but shersquo;s been in some of our movies, and she will be featured more prominently as we move forward.
Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Mismatched tag at line 108, column 8) in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/rss_fetch.inc on line 230
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /hermes/waloraweb062/b524/pow.gravyboy/htdocs/news/index.php on line 157
About Comic Books
- Top Comic Book Sidekicks -
Each comic book has its superstar, the main character, the top dog that stands tall over the rest of the characters as its primary focus. These characters like Captain America, Batman, and Green Arrow are the main thing that drives the storylines along. These heroes are the ones in the spotlight and take on the heavy lifting, but they are often not alone. The sidekick was created to accompany these heroes and provide an added layer of complexity to their already full lives. Check out more in this list of Top Comic Book Sidekicks.
Image Copyright Marvelp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Top Comic Book Sidekicks/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:23:30./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/top-comic-book-sidekicks.htm&zItl=Top Comic Book Sidekicks"Email this/a/p
- Action Lab Comics and Reviews -
It is always interesting to see the kinds of comic books that come out from the smaller publishers. While I would say the top and more memorable characters are still in The Big Two, it is these small press companies that I think are coming out with the better stories as a whole. I am very enamored with the creator owned concept and love to see that singular voice coming through a project.
Action Lab Comics is that kind of small comic book publisher. They hit it big with their highly acclaimed series Princeless and have many other comic books in their stable. One such recent acquisition is Skyward, by Jeremy Dale. I got a chance to review the first in the series as they are relaunching the once self-published comic book. Take a look at my review and see what memories it drug up for this long time fantasy fan.
I also got a chance to review the Adventure Time Annual #1. It was a pretty cool read with some interesting takes on the Adventure Time universe.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Action Lab Comics and Reviews/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, May 31st, 2013 at 18:21:19./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/05/31/action-lab-comics-and-reviews.htm&zItl=Action Lab Comics and Reviews"Email this/a/p
- Hound Comics -
Whenever I get the chance to attend a comic book convention, I'm always on the lookout for talent and things that are new to the comic book industry. New publishers, creators, companies, you name it, I love seeing new stuff. When I went to Wizard World: Portland, I ran into a group of guys from Hound Comics, a young comic book publisher that had a lot of different products and some interesting characters to boot. I spoke with CEO and ex professional wrestler Brimstone for a bit and took home some items from their booth.
Hound Comics is the sort of place a lot of independent publishers should take note of as they embody the spirit of the entrepreneur like none I've seen recently. Not only do they have a line of comics based off of his wrestling persona, but also a other creator owned comic books, a food line, apparel, and a slate of other products. I got the chance to interview Hound Comics and got some insight into the mind behind the publishing company and was excited to peek behind the veil and see how things tick at Hound Comics. Check out the interview with Brimstone, CEO of Hound Entertainment Group.
Image Copyright Hound Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Hound Comics/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:39:38./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/hound-comics.htm&zItl=Hound Comics"Email this/a/p
- New Image Titles -
It would seem a lot of creators are turning to Image Comics to get their visions out into the hands of comic book fans. I have seen a bevy of high profile creator owned series coming out of Image and it is really great to see. Joe's Comics has restarted and their first comic book out is Ten Grand, written by Straczynski himself and illustrated by Ben Templesmith. The duo really hit the mark for me and I thoroughly enjoyed what looks to be the first in a good slate of comic books coming out of this new Image imprint. Another comic I got a chance to sink my teeth into was Chin Music by Steve Niles and Tony Harris. It was very interesting to see two comic books combining the whole occult/crime thing and the two took very divergent paths. I enjoyed them both and look forward to the comic books Image will be putting out.
Image Copyright Image Comicsp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"New Image Titles/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 19:05:46./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/04/30/new-image-titles.htm&zItl=New Image Titles"Email this/a/p
- Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation -
Did you know that the website Kickstarter.com is the second largest graphic novel publisher in the U.S. according to Publishers Weekly? It beats out DC in terms of revenue off of these graphic novels and is only just behind Marvel. The term "publisher" is a bit loose here in that the company isn't directly responsible for the final product, but the proof that so many comics are created now through Kickstarter is astounding and awesome!
I've been able to talk to a couple of creators about the Kickstarting process in The Only Living Boy and Rumpus on the Run and the whole concept is exhilarating to think about the avenues that are open for creators to make comic books nowadays. Apparently the process isn't that new as according to Kickstarter, even the likes of Beethoven used a form of crowdsourcing to fund his works. Check out if Kickstarter is right for you and how you can take advantage of this great new concept.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 31st, 2013 at 20:03:32./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/31/kickstart-your-comic-book-creation.htm&zItl=Kickstart Your Comic Book Creation"Email this/a/p
- Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run -
Kickstarter is such an interesting new avenue for creators. With the right idea, pitch, and networking you can fund just about anything. Order Of The Stick funded a republishing drive and raised over 1.5 million dollars. Penny Arcade raised funds to remove advertising from their website and received over 500 thousand dollars. Now most campaigns are much smaller and won't bring in this kind of money, but for a small press comic book, not a lot can be needed. I got a chance to sit with a creator that has been on the Kickstarting ride with his latest endeavor Rumpus On The Run and right now his project is funded for the softcover version of the book, but Jess Smart Smiley also has dreams to bring his book to hardcover status. There is just a few days to go so be sure to head over this his Kickstarter Campaign first, then over the interview I did with Smiley about the process, his latest work, and kicsktarting comics.
Image Copyright Jess Smart Smileyp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, March 24th, 2013 at 23:40:16./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/03/24/jess-smart-smiley-kickstarter-interview-rumpus-on-the-run.htm&zItl=Jess Smart Smiley Kickstarter Interview - Rumpus On The Run"Email this/a/p
- Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review -
I was really glad I got the chance to go to the Wizard World Portland Comic Con. It was the first time the con was conducted in Stumptown, my hometown of Portland, Oregon. That's Or-e-gun all smoothed together in one go and not Or-ee-gone as out of towners like to say. Although there were some things I found concerning, overall it was a smashing success that this town truly embraced. Take a look at a review of Wizard World Portland to see what was great and what could use some work on for next year. If you are interested in going next year, and I would recommend it, Wizard is doing a special promotion that will work until Monday Feb 25th at Noon. Use the code Portland2013 to get a special discount on next year's entrance to Wizard World Portland Comic Con.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Sunday, February 24th, 2013 at 23:26:10./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/24/wizard-world-portland-comic-con-in-review.htm&zItl=Wizard World Portland Comic Con In Review"Email this/a/p
- First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con -
The Wizard World Portland Comic Con was in full effect today in Portland, Oregon and the convention floor was hopping with fans, creators, and celebrities. It is odd that this hasn't happened sooner as Portland is actually one of the largest comics town in the USA. Many creators such as Bendis and Busiek make their home in this area and there are many publishers like Dark Horse, Top Shelf, and Oni here as well. Don't forget that the statue company Bowen Designs resides were to!. This is a great place for comic books and has a great indy convention in the Stumptown Comics Fest, but Wizard World is going for a large scale feel and I think they have a good start. It was interesting that there was a lack of publishers showcasing here and it might be that the Emerald City Comic Con is next weekend in Seattle, WA. Either way I had a good time and met some new people. More to come.
Image Copyright Aaron Albertp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 01:02:09./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/23/first-day-of-wizard-world-portland-comic-con.htm&zItl=First Day Of Wizard World Portland Comic Con"Email this/a/p
- Heading to Wizard World Portland -
Well it looks like I will be able to attend Wizard World Portland this year and will be heading down for a couple of days of fun at the Oregon Convention Center. I am curious to see what happens as there is something of a duel happening in Portland between Wizard World and Rose City Comic-Con. Wizard World has had something of a bad rap at times and Rose City is partnering with Emerald City Comic Con to partner in running their convention. I hope to see how they handle Portland and if the convention can be the kind of convention this city could use. I will report back with my findings and see just what it has in store.
Image Copyright Wizard Worldp style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Heading to Wizard World Portland/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Friday, February 22nd, 2013 at 00:41:14./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/22/heading-to-wizard-world-portland.htm&zItl=Heading to Wizard World Portland"Email this/a/p
- Superheroes For Hospice Interview -
Comic book charities are a very cool thing in my mind as they merge something that we love with a good cause. There are many great comic book charities out there right now and one of them is Superheroes for Hospice. This event is a mini-convention where fans can come and get comic books on the cheap. All the profits go to the hospice and help those in need in the New Jersey area. This gives comic collectors another way to get rid of unwanted comic books as the donations they use to stock the event are tax deductible. I got a chance to interview the man behind the curtains, Spiro Ballas, who gave me the skinny on what the hospice does and how you can help others through comic books.p style="background:#f5f3ef;border:1px solid #d5d0bf;clear:both;padding:.5em;"a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Superheroes For Hospice Interview/a originally appeared on a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/"About.com Comic Books/a on Monday, February 11th, 2013 at 00:05:11./ppa href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm"Permalink/a | a href="http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/1hc&zu=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm#gB3"Comment/a | a href="http://comicbooks.about.com/gi/pages/shareurl.htm?PG=http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2013/02/11/superheroes-for-hospice-interview.htm&zItl=Superheroes For Hospice Interview"Email this/a/p
Comic Book Conventions.com
Comic Book News from
- Amp - Take one arrogant 19 year old, give him as many superpowers as the military can afford and stand back. Responsibility? Out of the window. Heroics? No, sir. Amp just wants to be loved, well adored really, perhaps even worshipped if he can just get his own chat show!
However, the military has other ideas.
- Bonds of Blood (Volume 1) - The first seven issues of Bonds of Blood all together in one nifty trade paperback!
- Justice - After witnessing his wife's rapist avoid a prison sentence, Alan vows to bring the rapist to justice. In a world where superheroes dictate right and wrong, Alan dons a mask and cape to track the villain down.
However, he soon learns that there's a lot more to being a superhero than an extravagant costume and a butch name...
- Kincaid #1 - Kincaid #1 introduces us to the story of Elvis Kincaid, a heroin addicted punk rock musician, who finds himself thrown into a world of global conspiracy, political intrigue and super powered individuals. Far from normal super hero fare, Kincaid is a gritty title showing the darker side of life.
As much as it focuses on the underbelly of the world, Kincaid is also a tale of one man's self-becoming and personal empowerment, creating a rich and original comic book experience.
- Legend of The Winged Tiger - Full color version of Phil Yeh's bestselling Winged Tiger #1 comic.
This new version features Lieve Jerger's brilliant coloring and a brand new cover.
- Tugger / Burnt Out Comix Flipbook - Murphy Beach Studio presents a 2-fer flipbook with 2 stories, 2 covers & only 1 price!
Cousin Joey is back and featured in the silly, surreal, underground of Tugger Comix and Burnt Out Comix where the world is a pressure cooker but there are ways to getting out of it. Weird. Funny. Silly.
- Apocrypha #1, Anarchy's Birth - They wanted to break her, they wanted to to turn her into a tool of their religious tyranny, they failed.
Violence shall begat violence.
Mature readers (18+) only.
- Cigarette Stories#2: Addicted to the Drama - Our story continues: What happened to Germ. Why can't Jerry remember anything? Who are "the guests" and why do they need an armed reception? Jeri and her friends make an appearance, too.
- Cosmic Samaritan #1, The - In the first of a four part story arc, enter Joshua Price. A conflicted teenager who struggles between his faith and the worldly temptations he must face. Soon, Joshua is chosen to wield supernatural power. A power he cannot yet fully comprehend. Will Joshua use his new abilities for the good of mankind or continue to lead his own path towards darkness?
Get ready for amazing superhero action and adventure as the premiere issue of THE COSMIC SAMARITAN takes flight!
- Entombed Issue #0 - Kyle Burden, dedicated Egyptologist and brilliant inventor, is betrayed by a trusted mentor and sealed in an Egyptian sarcophagus for an entire year!
After returning to the outside world, Kyle is overwhelmed by waves of crippling agoraphobia. Climbing into his greatest invention, Professor Burden himself becomes his most diabolical and twisted creation.