I typically will take a quick shot of whatever I’m sketching and post it on my instagram account. I’m busy getting today’s William the Last page up and diving headfirst into the next issue of GI Joe. Not much time for blogging.
This month was Artist Edition month at IDW and I was asked to do a cover over Larry Hama’s pencils. For this one I had to make it look like aged cover art. It was a fun job, and I even got to do a little hand lettering (the “yo joe!” and “Trouble in Sierra Gordo”. And well, technically the note to colorist on the side is my handwriting too, so I guess that counts as well.) Although the coffee stains were added in Photoshop, I did actually make a scan of a coffee ring on a piece of paper to use.
Here’s the sketch I got from Larry followed by the end result and how it looks in print.
Several GI Joe: Special Missions covers with my inks have been previewed out on the web, so I guess it’s safe to post them now. The Special Missions covers are always fun since they’re usually over the top situations. I mean look at Destro driving a giant mechanical Destro Head. What’s not to like? And the crazy-eyed, chainsaw-weilding, bearded lady? Good times. Shannon Gallant does a great job with penciling these.
Okay, I’ll be in Artist Alley this weekend at NYCC. My table number is P7.
I’ll have Transformers, GI Joe, and some Doctor Who original art pages for sale. As well as a new TF print featuring everyone’s favorite robot bartender, Swerve!
I’ll be doing commissions all weekend as well as promoting William the Last and the relaunch of my first creator-owned graphic novel, Vex. If you’re in the area stop by!
I uploaded a page over at Williamthelast.com and showed a little of the process behind it.
I started out doing the thumbnail on my iPad in Sketchbook Pro. I downloaded a comic book template from somewhere (deviantart probably) to make sure all the proportions are right.
From here I emailed it to myself, downloaded it, and dropped it in my template for printing. I printed this layout in very light blue on Bristol Board and then tightened it up with a 2B pencil.
It’s fairly loose since I ink myself on this. Note that at this point I still haven’t realized how utterly boring the last panel is. So I start inking using a Pentel Pocket brush, a Karetake Brush Pen, and one or two other things here and there. And then boom! The boringness of the last panel smacks me in the face. So I do a quick patch:
No iPad for this one, just straight onto the board since I knew what I wanted to do. Just laid down a quick perspective grid then dropped the figures and a very loose environment inside. Then off to inking!
Once the inks were all done I was ready to color, but I’m hanging on by the seat of my pants when it comes to coloring, so I won’t bother with showing the process for that.
Well there it is, for what it’s worth. Until next time!