FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic Review Weekly #26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The GravyBoard Forum Index -> Comic Review Weekly - Podcast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Comic Review Weekly #26 Reply with quote

Andy Reviews: DC Comics' Bizarro World, and the IDW book Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show

Audio Link

Brian's idea of a diet consists mostly of beef jerky and cabbage shavings. -Andy
Ryall

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Comic Review Weekly #26 Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Andy Reviews: DC Comics' Bizarro World, and the IDW book Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show

Audio Link

Very impressive Great and Secret Show #1 review, Andy, thanks for that. I know that first issue was very wordy and communicated a lot of information in a short amount of pages, but it was setting up the larger "Show" to come. Things spread out a bit as we go forward (and I'm doing a "Story So Far" recap in each issue to help simplify the previous book's events, too).

As for the story not having any relatable protagonist just yet, issue 1, and 2, to a smaller degree set up the big story, and in issue 3 (which is in stores on May 31), that's when you meet the characters who the reader can actually empathize with, and when the real struggle between good and evil really begins.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words for the work we're doing. I agree with you, that Gabriel is amazing (in issue 3, I ran a little essay that points out some of the hidden symbols and portents that Gabe has worked into his art to give it even more depth and feeling of magic.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Thanks for listening to our show! Very Happy I'm happy to hear that the review pleased you. I certainly enjoyed reading this, and I'm anxious to see where the "great show" leads. I did read issue #2, so I can see where things are spreading out a little bit more. I also appreciated the "story so far" bit at the beginning of the 2nd issue, it helped me have a better grasp of everything.

I wish I had read the original Clive Barker novel so I could have a better appreciation for the adaptation here. It's nice work, though, no doubt. I remember first being intrigued by this book by seeing a 2-3 page promo for it somewhere. I don't remember where i saw it, but there were pics and bios of all the characters involved and it looked rather stunning.

Yeah, Gabriel's pencilwork is amazing.

Keep listening! More than likely, I'll sum up further chapters as the book goes along- not to mention other IDW books!
Murray

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the shout out. See ya on the web.

www.murraystudios.net
myspace.com/jemurr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The GravyBoard Forum Index -> Comic Review Weekly - Podcast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: